RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Open Meetings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

2009 events

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: 2009 events
    Posted: 25 September 2008 at 09:27

Looks like the SGP is set for 19/20 Sep next year - as Stone traditionally hold their open in mid/late September there is a potential clash.

I would suggest (based on current turnouts and the impending credit crunch), the class should be planning to hold no more than 1 event every 3-4 weeks. It would be interesting to know everyone elses view on this.... 

alex_rogers View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 00:11

we would like to host event again but unfortunately local boats dwindling so will need a few more visitors to make it worth while. We appreciate it is a long way (we know its just as far the other way!!!) so would suggest a bank holiday weekend (early or late May)if we do it to make it worth the trip.

Like Tom I would appreciate any feedback and suggestions. If you are interested in coming to see us let me know and what if anthing we can do to encourage you (can usually find accomodation with locals - mainly ex hornet sailors)

Other option assuming we go to Abersoch for nationals might be a meeting close to nationals time and people could leave boats up here before or after to save 2 long trips towing boats?

stevec View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 08:38
Any time other than the early May bank holiday, as I have a long-standing "other engagement" on that weekend each year!
more power, more prizes!
Jon Bailey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 08:45

Maldon would like to host an open as usual, something closer to the championships would be fantastic for us.

Interesting Sailing, Extremely cheap drinks and free camping.....

What could be better

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 12:33
Personally I think we should support the SGP and make it part of the TT series. Stone in Oct or pre champs?
alex_rogers View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 21:21

you may not be surprised that i am also in favour of supporting the SGP....

I think its a fun social event and a good chance to catch up with old friends from various classes (not to mention an event not on the south/east coast - yes i know we have nationals but still most evenys are a 7 hour journey from us so only 3 1/2 is a bargain!!)

Its not as though we have so many events there isn't a free weekend in the calendar for our own events! Although someone may  have to move from their "traditional date" to accomadate it.

huey lewi View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote huey lewi Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 08:49

Im all for supporting the SGP again along with strang and alex, was the first one we attended this year and would definately do it again.

with regards to the Maldon open we would like to have it later in the year than April, hopefully to avoid the snow this time!

as jon said free camping cheap beer and good food!

lewi

Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 13:15

There was an intersting posting on the fastsail website reminding everyone the original purpose of SGP was as a marketing tool, In recent years, this point seems to have been missed. If you take away the marketing angle why is this event better than a Hornet event shared with any other class (particularly one held at a Hornet club)?

When fastsail first kicked off, the SGP was merely a starting point (but a good one with over 100 boats at Datchet). The idea was that the classes would work together, expand the shared event so that a joint 505, for example a shared Hornet, Javelin event would be classed as a Fastsail event, possibly even shared Nationals. Somehow the opposite has happened, SGP numbers down to 28, is that good marketing from our perspective? Only 2 or 3 Hornets? Out of the 9 boats who went to Netley rather than SGP I don't think any of them were interesed in SGP (but please correct me). If only a small minority are interested in going to SGP why should it be part of our open circuit?  

Unless Fastsail (which as reminder includes Hornets) starts promoting the original idea or doing something completely different it is fast going no where. Perhaps the Hornet committee could take an active role in this?

People might see me being hypocritical of my view because in the past I was 100% behind the Fastsail concept, but in those days the Fastsail committee was very active and enthusiastic - if you look on the Fastsail site you cannot even find any contacts, who's running the show, certainly not Hornets!

John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 15:28

We're looking to hold an open at Shoreham next year, and currently it's likely to be in May, probably sharing with Ospreys. Duncan is obviously involved with the discussions, so hopefully he is reading what's being written here.

I believe the nationals will be 9-14 August but until it's cast in concrete with Abersoch, wait for an announcement

For what it's worth, we would also have gone to SGP this year, had I not been out of the country, but it didn't do any harm to have two Hornets in the top three! But I think something has to be done about Fastsail, to get it back on track

roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 15:42
Tom, At the beginning of the year there was some discussion as regarding the clash between the SGP and Netley. We decided Netley on the basis that it was nearer and I like the venue. If the events had been different dates we probably would have done both as in past years. I like the SGP and whatever the politics of the past will support it in the future.
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic