RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

A couple of settings

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike n Cath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: A couple of settings
    Posted: 05 August 2005 at 01:28
Just fitting out our 200 Hornet and I can't find the tech details I got about a year ago.

What is the average rake setting? i.e. distance from the mast top to the transom.

Also on a wood boat what rig tension are you using?
On the Javelin I was use about 125kg on the forestay but I guess you don't need as much on the Hornet

And prebend, about 50mm at the spreaders or again is this too much?

Cheers
Mike n Cath

Btw, Don't forget to register for the SGP to be held at Rutland SC again on the 8/9th October

Happily wearing our cardies
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 08:39

Hi Guys,

The Banks tuning figures are pretty good as a starting point.

Rig tension varies depending upon sails used and how you sail, but 300lb on the luff is a good starting point.

With your weight, it might be worth easing off the tension in a blow to rake the mast back.

As far as pre-bend is concerned, that is entirely depndant upon the sails used. Let us know which you are using and we will find out the pre-bend required. 50mm is probably a bit on the high side for Banks, Norths and Speeds.

Tom

Hornet Tuning Guide

The following rig tuning guide was provided by Mark Hazelwood (ex-Hornet World Champion and formerly of Banks Sails). These figures are given as guidelines and should be used as a starting point for your boat. Individual boats will always have minor differences. Therefore these measurements should not be taken as hard and fast rules.

Epsilon/M2                                            D/M3/M7

Rake                                        23'9.5"/7250mm                                    23'11"/7290mm

Rig Tension                           350-400lb (Genoa luff)                 350lb

Spreaders                               Length 420mm                                    430mm

Deflection 165-185mm                       185-205mm

Heel Position                         The front of the mast should be 25mm from the front of the mast                                                                    gate.

Pre-bend                                 0-10mm                                                 0-25mm

It is important that the spreader deflection is set to give the correct pre-bend for your crew weight. Heavier crews should use less pre-bend than lighter crews. All crews will need to pre-bend the mast (increase spreader deflection) in non-trapezing conditions.

All measurements are based on a maximum length mast* and a Goodwin hull. Rake will be approximately 95mm less for a minimum length mast, and 35mm less for a Coombe/Lovett hull (because of higher transom). All measurements should be taken with full rig tension on and no deck control on.

Mainsail

Top Batten (full length) - Apply sufficient tension to just eliminate vertical creasing along the batten pocket.

Cunningham - Use only when overpowered to move draft forward and to open upper leech. Ignore horizontal creases on the mainsail luff, below 12 knots.

Outhaul - Generally very tight and ease approximately 75mm downwind. Consider easing slightly when sailing upwind in choppy conditions.

Kicking Strap - No tension until mainsheet has to be eased to prevent heeling, then only enough to maintain boom on the horizontal. Use a lot of tension in 15 knots+ or when seriously overpowered. In strong winds, use as much as physically possible and play the sheet constantly.

Boom Position - Light winds and crew to leeward, boom should be eased off the centreline. Boom should be sheeted on the centreline when helm and crew are both on the same side deck until overpowered, then drop the boom to leeward as the conditions dictate.

Deck Control - Limits the amount of lower mast bend and the overall fullness of the sail. Less control gives more mast bend and a flatter sail. More control gives less mast bend and a fuller sail. The actual setting will depend upon the crew weight, wind and wave conditions, and point of sailing.

Genoa

Sheeting - Leech should normally be set parallel to the centreline at spreader height. Variations of sheet tension and angles permit the genoa to take on many different aerofoil sections. Many settings can prove fast. In light winds, sheeting firmly along the foot to flatten the base and open the leech. In medium winds and a chop, sheet more down the leech with less sheet tension to produce a more powerful section.

Luff Tension - should be sufficient to just remove horizontal creasing and no more. If in doubt, leave slightly loose.

*The mast measurements allow 105mm variation in height of boom, ie ht. of mainsail can vary vertically 105mm relative to the jib, (the chosen height cannot be changed once the black bands are on). The high boom is the most common, ie the max length mast 760mm between Bands 1 & 2. Check this when comparing rigs.

Mike n Cath View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike n Cath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 12:10
Thanks Tom,

The sails are old, very old, circa 1812 I rekon, Mcnamara's when he was still down at Exmouth and possibly when he was at school by the looks of them.
A new set will be procured next year!

Do people use a chute bag or do you just let the spinny flop about under the foredack using an elastic retainer on the spinny downhaul to keep it there?

Simon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 14:23
Usually we just let the kite flop about under the foredeck (well, I do anyway).
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2005 at 14:38

1812 - classic year for those cotton sails. I see you have kissed goodbye to your discount on Mike's sails!

Most people use the elastic system. There are a couple of leading boats which use spinnaker bags just in case you are interested....

Mike n Cath View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mike n Cath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 August 2005 at 12:21

Firstly WELL DONE to Mike & Tim for a superb result at the Nationals, Great job.

We launched 2093 "Sprog Muncher" for the first time on the Tamar river at Cargreen YC nr Plymouth.

Great fun, Cath could not get over the fact that she makes a difference out on the wire, something of a shock after sailing the Javelin!

Apart from the grotty jib and the iffy Holt main she sailed really well.
Better balanced than I expected with little if any weather helm when flat, points high but found she stalls easily compared to the Jav.

All the kids (four of them ranging from 7 to 11) have been out in her and all want to play again, both the boys have been out on the wire and rate it as "Soooo coooool" so we have some potential baby Horneteers in the making, as well as arguments on who's turn it is next.

Funny enough whilst we were rigging up in the boat Park we met the owner of 2094 who keeps and sails his boat with his son at Cargreen.

We will endevour to get to Netley if possible although it means dropping a Javelin event,

Hmmmmm, I can sense trouble ahead

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 December 2005 at 00:56

TRAINING / COACHING OPPORTUNITIES

The RYA have some courses/workshops arranged for early 2006. See    http://www.rya.org.uk/Racing/Coaches/default.asp?contentID=3 744724

I went on the TopMark course last March and would recommend it. The other one day courses look good too, various venues around the country. Perhaps we can get a group to one of them. Reply here if interested.

Also, I am a Club Racing Coach [well, when I've done a first aid course to validate it]. If any Club wants to get together for a training day or w/e, or individuals, I am available to put on tailored course.

Cheers Strangler  0116 2856583

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 December 2005 at 10:52

re previous post, this link is back a page from the link above and shows both types of course

http://www.rya.org.uk/Racing/Coaches/

roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 December 2005 at 09:12

Strang,

Id be up for the Weymouth one as its close to us but would consider any other event. Any idea how much they cost?

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic