RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Asymmetric Rig / bit of a moan!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Asymmetric Rig / bit of a moan!
    Posted: 22 June 2007 at 12:51

Hi All

Has anyone got any close up shots of the polish asymmetric Hornets? Also how difficult would it be to go about creating one of these beasts? I'm not going convert to the darkside dare i say it RS or ISO as i enjoy my hornet far to much.

On a bit of a moan front though i WAS a member of the Hornet association 2 years ago but i only ever recieved 1 mainsail magazine and no renewal form..... and when i asked from an application for this year 3 times i never recieved one either in the post or over email.

Also what happened to the PD hornet open? and is there a single open meeting within 80 miles of Chester?

Sorry to have a bit of a soapbox moan but I have a boat, money, and enthusiam and nowhere to use any of them with my pride and joy.

'Slippery When Wet' 2047

www.thespitalvaults.co.uk
Bazzer View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bazzer Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 17:54

Hi Sven,

If you are still without a membership form, there is a link to this years on the front page of the website or click here to be taken straight to it.

Cheers,
Baz (GBR2182)

Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 23:03
It's unfortunate, but the class felt that too many open meetings caused a drop in numbers. I tend to agree that a select calander would perhaps promote good turnouts, but we at Maldon were ejected from the programme last year because the class wanted to support a Fastsail event. We still went ahead with our "friendly unofficial open" and attracted a few visitors. If you are feeling lonely, why not put on an event (advertise it on the forum) and we could have a "Swarm".
Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 June 2007 at 23:57

I'd love to have hold an unoffical 'Swarm' but Chester is too small for one hornet let alone three or four. lol! Where abouts is Maldon? and do we hold any events this end of the country these days?

'Slippery When Wet' 2047

www.thespitalvaults.co.uk
chrisM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 14:54

I too would love to race against other hornets but I am further north than sven. (S.W.Scotland) I would travel 150/200 miles to do so. Rutland and Bala seem to be the furthest north for open meetings. Perhaps It should be called the 'south of england hornet assoc'.

There is talk on the forum of low turnout, pehaps a better spread of events across the country would bring out some hornets that havent been seen for a number of years.

There are plenty of clubs north of birmingham, and plenty of sailers too. Maybe next year we could have just one meeting in the north of england, there are strong clubs in sheffield and newcastle for example.

I am aware that the majority of hornets are on the south coast and that it is a long way to travel, but i think it might promote hornet sailing in the north of the country aswell as the south.

Are there any other northern hornet sailers reading this forum, perhaps we could get a swarm together unofficialy?

Chris 2135

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 20:49
Re asymmetric hornets. The Dutch converted a few Hornets, don't know the Polish did any. Look in the main menue for links/ go to Dutch website. There was video of a asym sailing, hopefully still there.
Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2007 at 19:07
Sven and Chris, Maldon is in Essex. As Harry has suggested in another thread on the forum...suggest a northern venue and we will discuss it.
alex_rogers View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 07:47

Yes there are people reading this from North of Watford gap!!

We would love to have some meetings less than 6 hrs drive away and are definitely going to try and reinstate PD open next year.

The problem is that the strongest fleet is in the Southwest and they do not travel!!   - the east coast and southwest fleets seem to think its too far to travel for a weekend and they are nearer to each other than we are to either!!

If whoever wants to have a "swarm" up here (?chester) e-mails me would love to try and sort something out. We are having an anniversary regatta in 2 weeks for starters where hopefully there will be 2or3 hornets

akbutler View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote akbutler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2011 at 21:52
I have a Hornet based one-off with assymetric spinnaker (off a Laser 3000) and it's excellent. If anyone is interested still I will post some pics. Unfotunately I built the boat from an old hull and built it loads overweight. I'm looking for a "proper" Hornet now but my crew is in open revolt about going back to a conventional spi.
Alan Butler
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2011 at 07:53
Originally posted by akbutler akbutler wrote:

I have a Hornet based one-off with assymetric spinnaker (off a Laser 3000) and it's excellent. If anyone is interested still I will post some pics. Unfotunately I built the boat from an old hull and built it loads overweight. I'm looking for a "proper" Hornet now but my crew is in open revolt about going back to a conventional spi.
Keel Haul is the only way to persuade rebellious crewsSmile or make them do the Maldon mudrace
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic