RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Open Meetings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bloody Mary

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bloody Mary
    Posted: 06 January 2013 at 21:35
Rob and me will be joining Tobes and Gareth at the Bloody Mary.

Any other takers? Come on...be brave!
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 January 2013 at 09:37
WorkingCry. but I am doing the Steamer. .

In a wayfarer
Flirter View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Flirter Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 January 2013 at 15:18
Couldn't face the prospect of queuing til midnight to join the one-way system to pick up the boat afterwards. It was bad enough with 140 boats but 240?
Anyway, the real reason, I'm halfway through refurbishing the rest of the cockpit!
Good luck to those that go, weather will certainly be "bloody"!
I was looking forward to testing the hip at the Hoo Freezer - any other events in the southeast that anyone's going to for me to aim at finishing the boat for? Otherwise it will just be Carsington if that's confirmed.
No Pain, no gain!
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 17:57

Well done Toby and Gareth, Dean and Rob, Good results. Hope you didnt get to cold.

Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 January 2013 at 20:07
No, it wasn't too bad. Took about an hour in the car, with heater on full blast, before the hands recovered.

I had problems working out the correct start time (brain must have been frozen), so Toby got the jump on me, but had him in sight for about 45 mins. then lost him in the crowd. I have now developed a hate of asymmetric boats. They come into the mark with no regard for anyone else. The hardest thing I found was trying to find clear air, any tips Toby? 

Great fun though, I can tick that one off the bucket list.
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 January 2013 at 08:46

There is currently a thread on the Y&Y forum and some of the attitudes from the fast assy boats is that because we are fast and struggle to control our boats and cant see with our big kites everyone must stay out of our way.

Not a good attitude. I came across the same thing when crewing a gp fpr my brother and sharing the course with a load of *rs* thingies. Loads of barging at leeward mark and once one had forced his way through the rest just followed. We were left wallowing(I know gps do that anyway) and lost several places.
Bad form what?
Tobes View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 January 2013 at 09:29
There are no easy ways to find clear air in a race like that sadly. You just have to bite the bullet and do what ever you feel is necessary. For example one leg you may recall was a long fetch. We ended up rounding outside a couple of boats and had a poor lane so actually found a gap and put a 100 yard hitch to windward so we had our own space, despite knowing it was going to free at the other end. On another lap with a similar problem, we eased sheets and sailed low banking on the shift at the mark to get us there... but there was slightly less traffic on that occasion.
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 January 2013 at 20:22

Picture 591 on fotoboats BM pics. Full potential Juice is now a 5o5. You started to early TobesSmile

K191 Shoestring
595 Demon
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic