RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Boat set up

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Boat set up
    Posted: 27 June 2005 at 22:51

Hello Horneteers

My partner and I have just purchased a beautiful Tim Coombes Hornet, 2144 "Tigger".

Having found aplace for all the various bits of string we now desperatley need some advice as to what to do with them and the rig. Please offer the advice as if speaking to a complete beginner.

Sailing with a 88 kilo helm and a 57 kilo crew how should we set the boat up for the best compromise between speed and control? We sail on a lake with famously flukey wind shifts.

We are perhaps the only Hornet in the north of England and are to be found on Windermere but hope to travel to Hornet and Fast Sail events next year, so see you then

Bob Eastwood (2144 "Tigger")

Tigger2144
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 June 2005 at 15:45

Bob,

Congratulations on the purchase of 2144 - a good boat as I recall, even though we haven't seen it down south for a few years.

I have sent (via Private Message) a slightly out-of-date information pack which should provide some guidance as to what you have, and current thoughts on the rig.

I'm sure lots of members have plenty of useful advice for your boat but I think you need to provide a little more information as to the current state of the boat (in terms of the rig and the different controls used) and any particular problem areas. As a starting point I suggest you provide the following information:

Has the original crewdeck been cut out to provide more room for the crew?

Mast type (eg Proctor Epsilon) and sailmaker

Centreboard (gybing (probably) or convetional fixed)

Mainsheet system (centremain with either hoop or strop, or split bridle)

Position of genoa cleats (for'd or aft of crew)

Deck level Mast bend control (chocks, strut or underdeck lever)

Spinnaker pole system (single-double ended, single flyaway or twin poles)

Twinning lines of clam cleats for spinnaker guy/sheets?

Trapeze system (I recall that originally this may have had a continuous system)

Any pictures would be useful.

Depending upon familiar you are with setting up the rig, I would recommend that refer to the tuning settings provided in the information pack. If you can set the boat up with these, it should be just a case of fine tuning to adapt the rig to your light weight.

After that all you have to do in learn to sail the boat!

The good news is that despite the vast number of strings, it is a relatively simple rig to control. there is no fancy raking rig and most people tend to keep the rigs as simple as possible. This means they spend more time looking for the next wind shift, rather than in the boat deciding which brightly coloured line they can try next!

Keep in touch

Tom

GBR2171

tigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2005 at 23:32

Thanks Tom!

Some quick replies to your queries regarding 2144 "Tigger" I also have posted some photos to help people sort us out.

The crew deck is as origional I think, wether this is cut out or not you must tell me from the photos.

Mast is by proctor, sails are North i think.

Centerboard is Gybing, the main sheet is on a strop, the genoa sheet cleats are aft of the crew, the deck control is a strut, she has twin spinnaker poles.

Twinning lines? if I am correct as to what they are she has theml, what are they for??

Trapese system, standard loops connected by bunghi retainer.

114-1425_IMG.jpg114-1428_IMG.jpg114-1435_IMG.jpg

Thanks everyone

Bob

Tigger2144
tigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2005 at 23:37
Sorry Tom I can't find any thing in private  message in box, would you mind sending it again, thanks Bob
Tigger2144
tigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 July 2005 at 22:07

Correction on the sails.

Banks main and Holt Jenoa.

Bobbbbb

Tigger2144
tigger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote tigger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 July 2005 at 22:23

Thanx for all the Advice Tom

We now have the mast rake set correctly and it was like sailing a different boat and we had a successful weekend racing.

The tuning guide is very useful.

We are now wondering how to set the rake on the spreaders for our light weight.

Please feel free to throw in your ideas everybody

Thanks, Bob (2144)

Tigger2144
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic