RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Bouyancy tanks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Bouyancy tanks
    Posted: 04 April 2008 at 11:56

I've got a Goodwin Revolution 2054. It has 5 inspection hatches in the raised crew deck/bouyancy tank.One under foredeck, one each side of centre board case, by the pivot bolt, and one each side of centre in the vertical bridge deck.

Does this mean the boat has 5 separate water tight compartments?Or do they all communicate(if you get my drift)?

The boat also has a single Elvstrom  type self bailer on the port side that lets by when it's closed.Does any one know if there are kits available to refurbish these bailers, or do I have to chuck it and buy a new one?

chrismulh View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrismulh Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 12:06

I suspect you will find that the compartments are separate,just to make life more interesting you will probably find that the hatch covers leak so you will have all 5 to dry out after swimming sessions !

On the bailer I would suggest replace and add another one !

chrismulh
Eric Marchbanks View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Marchbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 12:48
Just be aware that one of the problems with Goodwins is actually the front compartments under the foredeck have holes cut in the web running along the hog to lighten the web - unfortunately this means one big tank but still needs two hatches to get the water out of the rear of those compartments under the fore deck as small amounts are held either side dependant on size of cut out. The other big problem is that there is a forward bulkhead making a small tank at the stem. This is usually a sealed tank, but on older boats can often hold water. Quite often the water gets in via the hog area as on a number of Goodwins that I have repaired they had been made with the hog cut flat and the ply oversailing leaving a void beneath. This often allowed surrounding areas to go rotten. On 2098 which I built ex Goodwin stage 1 kit i.e. from scratch but using his method we actually planed that void off when building and fitted a cedar capping. This preventing that problem during  the time I had that boat
Best Regards
Eric Marchbanks
Hornet 2178
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 12:55

2054 has 3 separate tanks (forward, port and starboard). The forward hatch in each side is for accessing the centreboard boat and during fitting out. The after one is for getting the water out (but usually this very little in here).

You can buy service kits for the Elvstrom bailer, but just make sure you buy the right ones (need to be careful with the measuremetns as some model are quite old). I think Elvstrom bailers are now sold under the Anderson brand name. Here a link for Sailboats just as an example.

http://www.sailboats.co.uk/Cat~Elvstrom_Anderson_Self_Bailer s_4852.html

As all the water runs to the hemlsman's cockpit you should really only need one bailer so don't rush to buy a second one unless you had an urge to spend money. However make sure your buoyancy bags in the after end are very secure and pumped up, otherwise you will find that the transom is underwater when you get it upright! A bucket becomes more effective....

Good luck with 2054 (good boat), where are you based?

Tom

stevec View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 April 2008 at 16:41

Hi Walley

I can safely say that there are 3 tanks as Eric says above. The front tank was built totally sealed, and the two side tanks were each separate.

On my Goodwin no 2080 when I damaged the bond of the front chute glass moulding with the wood hull I realised that the front tank was sealed - when I tipped the boat on the trolley I could hear water slopping around in the tank but could find nowhere to release it! When it was repaired the front tank had to be dried out as water had seeped in through the crack over time. While having the foredeck replaced and the top of the tank refinished I had a hatch put in on one side of the tank but near to the centre and rear bulkhead just near the mast step so I could reach round to the other side of the centre web to sponge out. The two side tanks are each continuous to the rear bulkhead but there is an internal bulkhead to strengthen the crew deck which, in my boat, only has a cutout in the middle so the majority of any water that may be in the tank may pass to the rear but the last dribbles are kept in the two areas, so you may need to open both hatches in each side tank to access all the water trapped in.

As already stated above there are refurbishing kits with new rubber seals for sealing the bailer to the hull and also the chute to the body, but if the sides of the chute or the non-return flap are bent no amount of resealing will stop it leaking as I can guarantee!

Hope we see you on the water sometime soon

more power, more prizes!
walley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 April 2008 at 19:01

Thanks all, for the response to my questions.

I have only sailed the boat twice, so far,in fast h'cap at Poole Y.C. I will certainly do something to more securely hold the rear bags in place, the boat is certainly tender compared to what I'm used to.I will also replace the O rings on the HA inspection covers, and get a s.s. centreboard bolt with a nyloc nut to try to stop ingress of the wet stuff along this route.My bailer's bent and I'll save up for a new super max Anderson, to replace it.

Cheers, Walley.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic