RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Championships
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Championships 2006

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Championships 2006
    Posted: 27 June 2005 at 15:45

For 2006 we were planning to join the Javelins at Stokes Bay (The Solent). This arrangement has fallen through and the Javelins are now going to Filey (North somewhere!).

Has ayone any particular thoughts for next year? Bearing in mind Carlo's comments from Sandwich, perhaps this venue should be up for consideration:

Weather was perfect. Sunny and just enough wind wich gave us the oppertunity to get used to the boat. There was close racing all through the field. The lenght of the races was good (not too long) and with not too much time inbetween. Also racing was in such a place on the water that spectators could follow what happened from the beach. Complements for the racecommitee 

Also the on shore activities were well organised and of good quality.It was a lot of fun on and of the water. Hopefully we can do it again next year!

It would be great to have a championship in Sandwich providing short traveltimes for people from Poland and Holland

kevin View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2005 at 20:30

Think that Sandwich would give us a great weeks sailing, with the possibility of a fairly big turnout, but this could cause it's own problems.

The facilities at Sandwich are fairly basic as anyone that has visited will agree, and for a week I think they would struggle to cope. Especially if a large number of competitors choose to camp.

If we can solve these problems I think it would make an excellent venue based on the last two open events.

They certainly seem very keen to host the event.

Duncan West View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan West Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 08:16

Sandwich sounds a good venue to me, lots of boats in the South East,

will start looking for a good tent,

duncan

CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2005 at 14:05

As an attendee of the last 2 Sandwich Opens I agree there has been a good turn out, the sailing has been excellent and lots of smiles on faces.  The water is open and Jim and Alan have set very good lines and courses.  I can remember chamionships where you could only start on one tack, no beats, courses under cliffs and a shortened race due to a ferry leaving!  We all know how much effort Eric has put into organising these events and I'm sure he would do the same for a championship and put on a very good event.  I also hope he would get support from the Downs Sailing Club as he has in the past when hosting the Kent Schools Training days.  I know there is some concern about the facilities at the club but at the Downs we hosted the National Schools Championships when the club was only a pre-fab.  We hired awnings, toilet blocks etc. and it seemed to work O.K.  I know the Styles Horneteers would try to help Eric as much as possible

CLINT

Harry Ashworth View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 July 2005 at 13:38

Looking at Duncan's posts about Dale it looks as though entries will be down this year, could this be due to the remoteness of the venue and lack of accomodation / amenities? Sandwich sounds similar.

Filey is a good venue with plenty to do for families and also plenty of "seaside" accom. Could we not tag onto the Javelins there? Or is there some prejudice against going "oop north"?

What about ( in no particular order)

Highcliffe / Christchurch, Sidmouth, Shoreham, Lyme Regis, Abersoch, Swanage

all possibly with another class?

Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 July 2005 at 18:14

Eric Marchbanks has raised this as an item for discussion at the AGM but it seems a good idea to start here as many of you will not be at Dale.

Interesting suggestions from Harry

Sandwich - When agenda is circulated you will see that Sandwich has quite a lot to offer. Plus there are local sailors in Kent who would support the event (I think this is our biggest problem at Dale)

Filey - no prejudice just unknown territory for the Hornet class. Although there are no Hornets, a joint event with Javelins would boost overall numbers. Long way from Starcross, 330 miles!

Highcliffe - Went there 1994, we were made most unwelcome!

Sidmouth - Tricky launching with on shore breeze. I believe the surf parties used to catch the Scorpions as they came into the beach. Not sure if they would fancy doing the same with the Hornet! Nice place though

Shoreham - Once a Hornet favourite but has since lost favour. Bit grim, not exactly a holiday resort

Lyme Regis - Excellent venue, tried many times to go there. Unfortunately they are not allowed to organise events during the summer holidays (Courcil regs)

Abersoch - They are hardly likely to entertain us unless we were to join Abersoch week, we are too small a fleet. if we join the regatta we would have to share everything courses, limited local accomodation, etc.

Swanage - Lovely place but I don't recall them ever holding a long championship. 

Tom

ultimatum View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ultimatum Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2005 at 20:53

I am new to the class so will wind my neck in if suggestions are off the wall but has anyone considered using Falmouth Week as suitable for Nationals too.

The organisers wil run separate starts for any fleet over 10 boats. It has been used by good number of classes in past years, offers fantastic sailing waters in the company of all sorts of different types of boat but with different courses and excellent organisation.

Restronguet Sailing Club playing major part this year. Wayfarers got highest entry for many years in 2000 with 76 boats. Is excellent holiday venue which would appeal to travellers from abroad. I have been for last 6 years. Always second week in August. Worth canvassing opinion perhaps ? Party in different Carrick Roads club every night. Try it for a change, why not??

Liam

ultimatum
NED-154 View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote NED-154 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2005 at 06:45

We've been to the Sandwich open this year.
Good racing, nice people, nice entourage, ampel campingground and easy to reach. Just the slipway needs some looking after.

Knowing that the Polish people are planning on coming to the Championships in 2006 I think it should be a location that is easy to reach and not too far to drive. If you want to draw them that is...

It also means it's easy to reach for other foreighners obviously, possibly drawing them aswell.

Looking forward to what location it will be.

Carlo
NED-154

no power no glory
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 August 2005 at 12:38

Next year's championship will be hosted by Sandwich Bay SWSSC

Dates: 5th-11th or 12th-18th August depending upon tides

Eric Marchbanks will be providing more details in the near future

Duncan West View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan West Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 September 2005 at 10:09

Hi all,

I hope all that went to the 2005 Nationals at Dale had a good time and congratulations to Mike and Tim, on an impressive performance.

The 2006 nationals will be held in the superb sailing view of Sandwich bay, and to make this an enjoyable week, are there any thoughts and feed back that we could implement for 2006. If you did not attend the nationals your views are very important to.

Particular areas of interest are;

How to increase competitor numbers.

Timing, number and duration of races.

Evening social activates and events.

I look forward to hearing many helpful suggestions,

Duncan

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic