RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Championships
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Classic boats at the 60th in Brixham

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Classic boats at the 60th in Brixham
    Posted: 21 June 2012 at 08:48
Hi All

Just spotted this article http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/163988/CVRDA-and-Classic-Finn-Meeting-at-Roadford-Lake and noted the historically important Hornets that were there and racing.

I know Roger Dev is planning on bring his planker to sail if weather permits, but I wondered if any form of incentive is available to try and encourage a few more of the classics to this major milestone event.

Just a thought.

CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 10:15
There was a trophy for the first boat over (i think) 10 years old. As many of the boats are more like over 20 years old it is a bit of an obsolete trophy. Maybe this could be re-assinged for the first non-revo type boat?
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 15:59
I will be bringing 191 and David Cooper is bringing my old 140 (if he can fix the leak). Turns out 140 was Jack Holts own boat and did the Round the Island Dinghy race.
I will only sail 191 if the weather is fair as I dont want to drop a 60 year old wooden mast thruogh the decks. Might even get the minute cotton spinaker out.
It would be great to see a few more of the six? plankers left out.
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 June 2012 at 16:03
I will be bringing 191 and David Cooper is bringing my old 140 (if he can fix the leak). Turns out 140 was Jack Holts own boat and did the Round the Island Dinghy race.
I will only sail 191 if the weather is fair as I dont want to drop a 60 year old wooden mast thruogh the decks. Might even get the minute cotton spinaker out.
It would be great to see a few more of the six? plankers left out.
I crewed for David at Roadford on the Saturday and it was a fantastic blast despite there being no racing. It was very gusty and we had some fantastic screaming planes before we realized we were filling up.
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2012 at 18:33
There is a trophy for the older boats. 'The Pre-Revolution Trophy' was presented by Stone S C, and is awarded at the nationals each year for the highest placed boat per description. 

It was won by Geoff Furlong in 'Sea Boots' 1483 in 2008, and has since been won by 'Francessa II' 1051 twice, mainly due to lack of competition. You have to have a go to win it!

Coincidentally, I have 'piloted' a scheme to try and match handicaps for the 'older boats' vs current boats, which seems to be reasonably accurate for Francessa, but I need more data to prove it for other combinations such as plankers, original sail plans etc, etc.

If we can get more of the older boats out there we could conceivably work up to a workable system for the classic boats. Will we see any at Stone this week?
Mike O
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic