RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Endeavour 2014

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Dick Garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Endeavour 2014
    Posted: 29 October 2014 at 20:27
Good luck to Will & Sam who are representing the Hornet Class at this years event - 2014 Entrants List.
Looks like they will be pulling 40 kilos less poly prop out of the water at the end of the days sailing as well - lucky b*****s. Read more about Change of Boat for Endeavour Trophy 2014... 

Dick G.
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 10:09
All the best to Will and Sam, the breeze looks right up your street as long as Sam loses a few kilos and moves fast Wink
Mike O
Sam Woolner View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Woolner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 October 2014 at 16:56
Thanks Guys, we'll do our best!

I'm lighter than I was at the Europeans I think......

don't think theres much room to move anywhere fast in the front of a Topper Argo!
2108 Ultimatum

Exe Sails & Covers

Topsham

WWW.EXESAILS.COM

[email protected]
John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 October 2014 at 10:09
Best of luck guys. No idea what a Topper Argo is but you seem to be at home in most boats !
floozie 2115 View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floozie 2115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 November 2014 at 20:32
How was it? Were they nice boats?
Sam Woolner View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Woolner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2014 at 17:16
it was definitely an experience, but I don't think nearly 30 stone is a good weight to sail an Argo. 

the racing was very very close, 90% of the fleet were within half a leg the whole race every race, which was amazing racing and seriously hard work, I'm going to be feeling shattered for the next week I think.

upwind was fine for us, we had great tacking battles with the Osprey, Lark & Streaker guys on the first beats  and we were top 3 to the windward mark a few races but downwind we just couldn't match the lighter crews speed, especially for the 6 races in the lighter winds f2-3 on the Saturday. Sunday was a lot better with a f4-5 when we could use our weight a bit upwind but it was the same story downwind sadly, the lighter crews could just go faster and lower downwind. 

The boat wasn't great to be honest, there wasn't a good word said about it around the dinghy park, but everyone was saying exactly the same bad things so it kept it pretty fair :) everyone seemed to have the same problems and being brand new boats, there was some amazing differences between the rig set up from boat to boat including one team reefing yesterday. 

it really was an amazing experience, if I go again in the future, I'll be going on a mega crash diet.

The club, food and hospitality were great, everyone was really social (well most people) and the training day was boiling hot sunshine which was perfect, apart from there being no wind. 
2108 Ultimatum

Exe Sails & Covers

Topsham

WWW.EXESAILS.COM

[email protected]
John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 November 2014 at 19:51
Well done guys! I know what you mean about holding the lightweights downwind but hey.
Relax, we'll all do our best to make sure you don't go next year Wink
CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 November 2014 at 10:11
Well done guys and sympathy here from a FB!
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2014 at 09:06
Huge respect to you both, doing the Endeavour has got to be one of life's major experiences.
Mike O
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic