RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Facebook page

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Facebook page
    Posted: 23 May 2018 at 11:10
This forum seems to be a bit moribund, so I'm wondering if all the action is over on the class Facebook page.

If so, where is it, and can non-Facebook users access it?

I am not on Facebook and I have no plans to be in the future. Doesn't anyone read the news?

Perhaps it is a case of making said page 'public'. It does not seem to come up on any search engines either, so if we rely on this website only, it doesn't come across as a vibrant class.

Cheers
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 08:58
Hi John, good to know you are still with us. 

It is fair to say that the Facebook page (Hornet Sailing UK) does receive most of the action these days. A few hardy souls do check in here now and then, but not many. Our page is open to view by the public, so you should be able to read it without (I think) having to register on FB. No doubt Tom Guy will advise.

The situation was discussed at the committee meeting at PDSC last week because it was recognised that the website does provide a permanent history of points raised and questions answered, while FB is not searchable.

Watch for comments. See you soon? I need a crew for our club weekend in New Quay (Wales) middle of next month, and Tom Guy is trying to sort boats for definitive spinny trials the week before at Netley.

BR, Mike
Mike O
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 12:07
Hi John,

FB page is available here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/1512183198999682//

Note that it can be reached by clicking the FB logo on the website home page. 

FB seems to have become the preferred medium for general conversation purely because of its convenience on smart phones/tablets and its immediacy. I do track our FB page and add items to the website if applicable. Besides the obvious disadvantages of FB and use/"misuse" of data (I better be careful what I write so I'll stop there), it is not a good way to record class discussions. If you recall when we were discussing the problems with the Devon composites and potential rules changes, we were able to capture all the comments in a single thread in the forum. If the same discussions were on FB it would be a mishmash of conversations, no doubt with a few pictures of cutes kittens and 101 emojis!Smile 

Do people read the news? Good question - We don't have any means of measuring hits, etc so I can't really provide an answer. I would say that it remains the default location to look for anything you need to know about Hornets. If you google Hornet sailing/ dinghy/ class association you will always find the lass website on the first page, but not the FB page. 

Obviously the big limiter on the news is whether is any and more importantly, has anyone generated something suitable for publication. I have received no reports for Dinghy Show or the last 2 opens....

So, you are selling your boat - are you commissioning a new one?
If you send through any details I will post it on the website

Tom

John Shelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (1) Thanks(1)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 13:09
Thanks for replies guys.

Tom - I accept all you say about FB, but I'm not going there. The link you provide requires you to log-in to FB, so Catch 22. Try it.

It is for this reason that the link never appears on search engines either, which is a bit self defeating. I am informed by someone who knows that it is possible to change the settings of the FB page so that it is visible to non-members, and will also be indexed by search engines. After all, I know a lot of businesses do this, in place of a website.

It's in the interests of the class to be as open as possible.

Yes, a new boat is being built. Nothing in time for TBYC though.

Feel free to scrape any details from Apolloduck. I don't expect a rush to the phones though :)
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2018 at 17:55
Thanks for the heads-up about the lack of public access to FB. I suspect it may have changed with GDPR. I read somewhere that "Public" means something different to FB: accessible to all members of the FB community, poor lost souls that we are.

Intrigued about the new boat, will you say any more "publicly"?
witchcraft View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote witchcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 16:28
The FB page is not set for non FaceBook users (and I speak as one following the Cambridge Analytica debacle)  I can access truly open public groups (Alton Water Sailing, Dinghy bits for sale) but not the Hornets...  :-( 

Have fun at TB and I'm really sorry to miss iy.
Spending a fortune on Hornet 1798
witchcraft View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote witchcraft Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 July 2018 at 16:31
The FB page is not set for non FaceBook users (and I speak as one following the Cambridge Analytica debacle)  I can access truly open public groups (Alton Water Sailing, Dinghy bits for sale) but not the Hornets...  :-( 

Have fun at TB and I'm really sorry to miss it.
Spending a fortune on Hornet 1798
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic