RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Open Meetings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fastsail SGP 7/8 October

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bovver boots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Fastsail SGP 7/8 October
    Posted: 22 September 2006 at 21:59

It has been pointed out we don't seem to have done much to market the SGP (Symmetric Grand Prix) being organised at Queen Mary Sailing club over the weekend of 7/8 October by Fastsail.

See : http://www.fastsail.org/

for details. So far there are four Hornets out of a total 14 entries although there is usually a last minute rush if the weather looks OK. Always a bit iffy at this time of year especially for travellers.

I now feel I have done my bit in advertising the event. Roger Devereux wonders whether Fastsail is becoming extinct...he may have a point. But ...I am told the sponsored prizes are excellent. Win them while you can!!!

Liam

Liam
Pippa View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Pippa Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2006 at 13:49

Just a reminder for those intending to go to the Symmetric Grand Prix at Queen Mary Sailing Club on 7th/8th October to register on the Fastsail website www.fastsail.org by 30th September if you want cheaper entry.

QMSC has confirmed that the entry fee of 28 can be paid at the event by those pre-registering on the Fastsail website by closing date which is 30 September. Entry forms must be completed and must be signed. Late Entry fee is 34.

Camping is not allowed at QMSC and people can not sleep in camper vans due to Water Board regulations the club suggests: Chertsey Camping & Caravan Club (Adjacent to the Thames) Chertsey Bridge 65-67 Bridge Rd KT16 8JX  Tel  01932 562405

Currently 23 enties, including 5 Hornets.

Pippa

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 October 2006 at 23:09

The cheap entry can now be paid on the day as long as you pre enter,

See Fastsail website

roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 08:31

Back from the SGP. First thoughts what a great event, shame the numbers were down on previous years. As usual we kept to the back of the fleet and were even beaten by my old planker(the shame of it). Now we can only blame ourselves and not the boat. Main problem seems to be we keep falling over but we are getting better.

On a more serious note I feel that the fastsail movement has done and still does a lot for the profile of the class and events such as the SGP can only be good. I am a relatively new member of the fleet buying my first knackered old boat around three years ago and so dont know or understand(or wish to) the politics of the fleets but I do believe there is strength in numbers and the fastsail group of fleets do promote us all.

I know the switch of dates messed up the Maldon open and hopefully it wont happen again.

We hope to get to some of the opens next year to make sure you dont take last place.

See you on the water next year.

Bovver boots View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bovver boots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 22:38
Very well done to Peter and John for their third place and to Strangler and Pippa for their tenth place in the individual placings at the Fast Sail GP at Queen Mary last weekend. Thank you too from all of us to those intrepid Hornet sailors who represented the Class  well with seven boats racing and achieved third overall in the team competition.
Liam
Bovver boots View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Bovver boots Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 October 2006 at 22:40

John Shelton

Pretty good buy from e-bay. Worth a lot more now I fancy

Liam

Liam
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 08:29

Sorry I missed the event ("hole in the boat" excuse).

Good results from the Hornet fleet (although it could have been the biggest fleet there...).

How did they distribute the prizes at SGP this year? For example did e-bay sponsored Peter and John win anything good? For the last few years it has been a bit random (1st red boat to launch wins a new superspar mast, etc - okay I exaggerate, but only slightly!)

To re-iterate earlier Liam's comments, the SGP is an important pomotional tool for the class. Seeing Hornets associated with other top classes and sailors can only add value to the class. As an example, without SGP it is likely that there would no pictures of an Hornet in Y&Y!  

Other than the obvious (making sure that there is only one Hornet event on at weekend) are there any suggestions on how to boost numbers, improve event, etc?

John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 11:27

Thanks guys - it was a good event - my first SGP and I would do it again. Shame about the turnout, but 7 Hornets in the face of a clashing Maldon open is a good show. We had some really good racing, especially with Strangler and Pippa - maybe we'll get the hang of this plastic boat one day!

I think part of the problem of the low turnout was the fact that there are perhaps too many Fastsail events in the year - many people I spoke to thought the same, and it would be better to have one or two Big Bang events in the year.

Prizes were a bit random Tom, but hey, some of the classifications were a bit of fun. I don't understand why the Superspar prize is limited to people that already have one. I'd like a Superspar, but I don't qualify for winning one. Doh!

As a final comment, while we were waiting for a start, an RS400 sailed past, and they shouted "what sort of boat is that?". I'm getting so fed up with people asking what a Hornet is, that I'm thinking of writing "It's a f&*$ing Hornet!" on the side. We must be missing something somewhere

roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 October 2006 at 17:10

I think one of the reasons for a low turnout was the event did clash with various Fireball, FD, and Javelin events but also it was not well promoted this year in Y&Y, DSM etc. but for me the lack of camping on site was an added expense.

As always the prizes were aimed at the whole fleet not just the high flyers but have to agree why is the superspars gear for superspars users. It would surely be better encourage people to change over to their spars.

The event was well run and great fun as always and long may it continue. 

mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 October 2006 at 20:58

I understand that the attendance was well down this year, and from past experience, I think that all the fastsail classes (excepting possibly the Fireballs) have a MAJOR marketing problem.

There seemed very little marketing for the FSGP- I found it almost by accident.

However, as a very 'new'comer to the Hornet - or anything like it (it was my third time in the boat), and the first time in a breeze - which was brilliant - and my crew's second time in any boat full stop. Don't bother mentioning the trapeze! OK so he tried jumping off twice, but I got him back.

We both thoroughly enjoyed it, and if we ever recover, I'm sure we'll do it again.

Major impressions- the average age is well over the hill, which actually made me feel good, because that includes me. But people, you have to get the kids out in these boats, just to show them what they do. My usual boat is a Lark, and I can guarantee that we would have been swimming if the Lark was going at the speeds we were doing on Saturday at times. The Hornet felt so stable, it gave me great confidence.

Special thanks to Harry Ashworth who let me have an 'old' (ie at least 20 years younger than the originals) set of his for a very reasonable consideration. Harry, they look good!

Now, if I can just figure out how to stop the toe straps falling off, and how to pull the full size kite out of a 4.5" soil pipe . . .

Suggestion - I would willingly lend the boat to some of the younsters (with some cautionary provisos) if there was say, a couple or three 'Youth Championship' meetings in a year.

I'm not sure that we do have too many meetings - I know though, that at my age I will only commit to a few every year, so the class(es) need more hot blood coming through. As more than one person noted on the Fastsail forum, it's all about MARKETING.

Mike O
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic