RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Open Meetings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Fastsail SGP 7/8 October

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 October 2006 at 12:19

Dear Mikethelark

I'd like to know what Harry's "old set" was - false teeth?!

Impressed by your claiming that the hornet is stable; Alastair and I spent the first 3 years in our boat developing our swimming technique when the wind was anything over force 2! We even won a Strangler prize for being The Capsize Kings at Penzance - managed to fall over in a force 1!

Regarding the Fastsail conundrum, I agree with John above, in that there should only be 2 or 3 events at the most in any one season, otherwise they impinge on the class-specific opens. Also, only having very limited but attractive meetings (ideally one fresh-and one salt-water venue) would be like making the effort to see family and/or friends at Christmas. They would need camping and cheap b&b very near (I need to get more use out of the new tent I bought for the Sandwich nationals!), so that as at Sandwich, all the players would stay at the club in the evenings. To try and increase attendance, the Fastsail events could be made compulsory or double-scoring meetings in the class travellers trophy(TT), and to raise the status of the TT series, perhaps the prizegiving could be incorporated with the Nationals prizegiving and include the nationals races. This would obviously mean that the TT period would run from one nationals to the next, rather than a calendar period, but is that so bad? It could still be called the 200"x" TT.

I think I've rambled enough, but it's a quiet Friday and I'm on holiday next week so I'm running the clock down!

more power, more prizes!
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 October 2006 at 19:31

Hi Stevec

I hope the sun is shining on you on your holiday. I must have been pretty tired when I wrote my last entry - it was of course a set of sails that HA provided (Does he use false teeth? - Please DON'T answer that)

Your capsizing ability makes me feel even better, but to be fair, I was very conscious of a) being in an unnacustomed boat, and b) having a novice crew. I was absolutely terrified of being forced into a crash tack with Dan out on the wire, so I did sail extremely conservatively to put it mildly, which was reflected in our performance.

But - if you think the Hornet is Tippy, don't try a Lark (usual comment in our club "Like trying to sail a bar of soap!"). We really enjoyed the experience, but now I have to find another open meeting to do between now and Christmas, or more likely try and persuade H Ashworth Esq to let me play at Bartley.

Oh yes - I also have to sneek it by my wife, as she says, "When you sail, I shop", which can be daunting.

Next step - I need a crew who can keep his/her feet on a slippy crewdeck (Oh yes - I do need to fix that) so I can at least observe the dance steps. It was taking us about thirty seconds a tack! Plenty of room for improvement then.

On the Fast sail opens, I don't have any problem with your comments. I think we need more Class opens over a longer season, AND GET THE KIDS INVOLVED.

Phew. enough already.

Mike the Lark

Mike O
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic