RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Open Meetings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Herne Bay Open

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote ctbrealy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 11:28
Hi All,
I will be sailing 2126 at Herne Bay on 2/3 July.
I hope some can join me. Its not Lake Garda but does have its moments!Wink
Best wishes,
Chris Brealy
CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2011 at 16:37
Hi Chris,
             do you think we could get a separate start for the Hornets maybe 5mins before the mass start to avoid the mêlée? I hear Jon Silk is after a ride. Are you able to sort him out?

Cheers

Clint
grahamdare View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote grahamdare Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 15:53
Clive and I ( Hornet 2184) and Gary and Tracy ( 2162) from Thorpe Bay are likely to be going to Herne Bay next weekend. I believe that the start on Saturday is at 3.00pm ( 2 races back to back). Does anyone know what other Hornets will be there please?   What's the likely turn out? Graham Dare
Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 June 2011 at 22:37
Graham, check the Herne Bay website. I believe there is a Hornet only race starting at 12.30.

Where there any chocolates for winning the fast monohulls at tyhe Thorpe Bay regatta?

Dean.
CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 June 2011 at 11:06

Start time should be 3pm on the Saturday (2 races back to back).

Should be 2 Downs boats, Jim, 2-3 Herne Bay boats, hopefully Deano and possibly someone borrowing Mikes boat. If 2 Thorpe Bay boats come it should give us around 8.

Cheers

Clint  
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2011 at 20:31
Rob and I will be there.
Harry Ashworth View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 July 2011 at 08:49
Hope you all have great racing. You'll be checking membership Dean???
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 09:41
Great racing chaps!

Thanks to Herne Bay for a fabulous weekend and well done on getting the conditions right.

Perhaps next time you'll get more beer behind the bar!

Harry Ashworth View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 09:50
so what happened? will someone do Y+Y report?
CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 July 2011 at 14:25
Sorry for the delay. There was a bit of an issue with the results and I wanted to check that Dean was happy. He has very graciously let the results stand as Herne Bay derived them. I have drafted the below for Y&Y. I am am being a bit dim and can't seem to find a way of uploading on the Y&Y site. Could someone point me in the right direction
?
Although a small entry it was a great weekend and they are keen to have us back.

The Hornets joined Herne Bay sailing Club’s Jim Newby Memorial regatta on the weekend of the 2/3 July. With another Hornet Open the following weekend numbers were reduced with 5 visitors attending.

The first race was started in a Southerly F2-3 with Chris Brearly / Garry Daneliwicz (GBR 2126) making an excellent start and leading at the first mark from Mark / Clint Styles (GBR 2081) and Dean Saxton / Rob Smith (GBR 2181). As Brealy luffed Styles, Saxton was able to set the spinnaker first and was not headed to the finish. A mis-rigged spinnaker resulting in a lost crew overboard on GBR 2081 allowed Brearly away to finish second but was later disqualified for OCS. Geoff Furlong and Jim Ingram were later awarded second with Styles recovering to third.

In the second race the Styles boat got away well from the pin end to lead at the first mark by a good distance from Saxton and Brearly. This was fortuitous as the spinnaker re-rig between races had not gone to plan with some more hasty un-tying and re-tying of knots allowing Saxton to close the gap.  Styles and Saxton pulled away with Saxton pushing hard until they fell away in the later part of the race due to a slackening of rig tension. Brealy finished a comfortable third.

Sunday dawned with a change of wind direction to the North (F2) but with a forecast of a swing back to the South. The race started on a dying breeze with Saxton and Brearly starting well again. Styles was buried at the start but a tack out to sea picked up a fresher lifting breeze allowing them to round the windward mark just behind Saxton and Brearly. The boats were close at the first gybe mark but a flying spinnaker pole literally pole axing the helm of GBR 2081 allowed Saxton and Brealy to open a gap. On the next beat Saxton stayed the most inshore of the three and found little pressure. Again Styles took the offshore route making up distance and rounding the windward mark with Brearly. With the shifting wind what should have been a reach had turned into a beat. This time Styles made the error of staying low with Saxton and Brearly picking up a lift straight to the mark. A nervous last run in an ever fading breeze saw Chris Brearly now crewed by Duncan Oliver hanging on for his first race win at a Hornet Open. Saxton was close second and Styles a now distant third.

The Race Officer ordered the fleet ashore as the breeze fell away to nothing. Discussions took place about abandoning the last race but eventually a good sea breeze filled in allowing a belated start of the last race with 3 boats still in contention to win overall. Styles made a good start from the committee boat end of the line to lead at the first mark from Graham Dare / Clive Stinton (GBR 2184) and Brearly. According to Brearly GBR 2081 performed a “race winning spinnaker hoist” allowing them to accelerate away and build an unassailable lead. In the bar afterwards the crew of GBR 2081 was heard to say that in 20 years of crewing this boat he had not witnessed such a phenomena and perhaps Brearly benchmarking his spinnaker hoists on those of a 73 year old was not wise! Meanwhile Brearly and Saxton were locked in a close battle for second with Brealy just holding the advantage. In the final shake-up if Saxton could get through to second he would win the event with a better discard than Styles. Unfortunately, with a short beat and run there were limited places to attack and Brealy held onto finish second with Saxton third.

The final standings saw Styles and Saxton locked on 34 points and the same discard. The Race Officer split the pair by number of race wins leaving Mark / Clint Styles the winner, Dean Saxton / Rob Smith Second and Chris Brearly / Duncan Oliver third overall.

The Hornet fleet would like to thank Herne Bay for their excellent hospitality and race organisation. All competitors agreed that they had an excellent weekends sailing and BBQ on the Saturday evening.

Boat Number

Race 1

Race 2

Race 3

Race 4

Overall

Position

GBR 2081

GBR 2181

GBR 2126

OCS

GBR 2114