RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Hornet wanted

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Hornet wanted
    Posted: 02 March 2014 at 21:28
Dear All,
We were made very welcome on the Hornet stand at Dinghy Show today - thank you for that!
We are considering purchasing a second hand boat for local racing and some general sailing fun.
Looking at the many options, but keep coming back to a Hornet!
Would be very happy with timber if sound, but also consider composite, depending on price.
All advice, suggestions and bargains welcome!
Many thanks, Will
Tobes View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2014 at 09:35
Hi Will

I am glad you enjoyed the trip to the show and delighted you enjoyed the Hornet stand!

There are a few association members with more than one boat (generally, they have rescued boats from obscurity) who may be persuaded to sell one on so hopefully we can find you something.

I have someone in mind with a couple of boats and will drop him a line for you. Can you give an indication of how much you might be looking to spend? Where are you based?

PM me your details and I'll see what I can find out for you.

All the best

Toby
jugman View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jugman Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 March 2014 at 23:24
There is a cheap fibreglass Hornet on ebay at the moment.....I think the sails do not match the boat..

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Hornet-sailing-dinghy-/181338004323?pt=UK_Sporting_Goods_Sailing&hash=item2a38965b63
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2014 at 10:59
Hi Will,

I had a quick look at the Hornet on Ebay - it is very old (40 years +) and suspect those could be the original sails (many rules changes since then). As I suspect you intend to race, you really need to consider a Goodwin revolution or a Lovatt/Coombe hull i.e. a boat built after 1979.

There a few varieties of Goodwin hulls: 
Goodwin (original revolution design) - wooden kits from Malcolm Goodwin. These were either professional built by Malcolm, or another professional builder or home-constructed. Therefore the quality does vary....
Many of these have subsequently been re-worked with new deck layouts, again some professional, some home. 
Baker - GRP-hulled composite built by Tim Baker. Hull shape taken from a Goodwin Revolution.
You need to be a little bit more careful here as Tim Baker produced some pre-revolution composites as well which were definitely not as fast.
Speed Sails - first all FRP production boat, uses Tim Baker Revolution hull mould
Bob Hoare Boats - same as Speed boats as the same tooling was used

If you have any questions about any boat, I'm sure there will be lots of advice from the members of this forum
jimingram View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 March 2014 at 11:51
Smile Hornet no 1950 "Wild Thyme"  all wood Garage stored for a few years, one set of sails and trapeze harness. No road trailer
Owner is open to offers Contact Sean on [email protected] Tel: 07942859667 or
1380 870 672 Wiltshire area.
jim
Will TJ View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will TJ Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 March 2014 at 21:28
Hi Jim,

Many thanks for this - I have sent Sean an email asking for some more info.

Do you, or anyone else know anything about 'Wild Thyme' - design, builder, age, etc?

Will
jimingram View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2014 at 17:51
SmileWild Thyme 1950 sold already, good news for the owner ,bad news for the For Sale list. There is obviously a market, can we gt any more on the list? Jim 
jim
Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 March 2014 at 19:41
2184 for sale on Apollo duck
Simon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 April 2014 at 19:09
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic