RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Jib sheeting angles

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Jib sheeting angles
    Posted: 22 February 2010 at 00:22
Hi everyone ive got another query for you all.
Ive been comparing my boat 2135 with the pic of 2131 on appolo duck
It seems that my jib fairlead tracks are a few inches further outboard than on 2131. Im wondering how far out other boats have them and whether it would be worth fitting a second inner track for lighter winds.

I just want to be out on the water, but the loch is still frozen!
roll on the spring.
chris 2135
John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 10:15

I think it will depend on the cut of your jib, as they say. There has definitely been a trend to bring tracks in towards the centre line, and when we compared our 21 year old boat to current thinking, our tracks were a couple of inches or more further outboard.

We rigged up a simple barber hauler strop to experiment, and it certainly gave us in improvement, so we'll probably make it more permanent, but it's nice to have the outer setting when it blows a hooligan.

One thing that always makes me laugh though, and that's the length of most peoples' tracks. I reckon the most that anyone ever adjusts fore and aft is a few inches, and yet everyone has tracks which are a foot or two long!

CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 16:54
If you can get hold of one, I'm pretty sure Mike Macs tuning guide has a measurement for jib tracks. I agree with John that there has been a move to sheet further inboard. Mike actually told me that he moved his tracks further inboard as a direct result of struggling upwind against John's Hoare boat. I think he had a sneeky measure!
John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 February 2010 at 22:42
When I saw Mike last year, jib tracks were a topic of conversation and that's why we tweaked ours! But "Mike Macnamara" and "struggling upwind" are not two phrases that sit well together
Duncan West View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan West Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 March 2010 at 09:44

Mike did move them inboard at Sandwich Champs, when we were all held on the beach due to too much wind!!!!!

Tracks in right place important but more important is the gib sheet tension, an inch in on the gib moves the laech 3 to 4 inches!!!

cheers

Duncan
chris. View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chris. Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 March 2010 at 11:40
thankyou everyone for your comments.
I thinking i will add a second set of tracks 2 or 3 inches inboard to give me the choice.
point taken about the sheeting tho!

chris
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic