RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mainsheet systems

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mainsheet systems
    Posted: 08 February 2007 at 15:14

Having saved 2 Kg by removing the centre main hoop, I've been thinking of changing from a centre bridle to a stern bridle mainsheet arrangement, but I thought before I started drilling holes I'd ask if anyone could give their opinion of the pros and cons of each, as both methods are used successfully in hornets.

Does either save weight, cause snarl-ups, allow easier movement in the boat, have less sheet load, cause trouble gybing, make the sail work more efficiently etc?

If the stern bridle is preferred, do you run the sheet through the boom or in a sling underneath?

more power, more prizes!
Will McGrath View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will McGrath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 20:21

I would reccomend a rear bridle for upwind performance as it enables you to crank the main into the centre of the boat for lighter winds. It can make a significant difference to pointing abillity.

The disadvantage of a rear bridle depends upon your techniques for tacking and gybing. Having recently moved up from a laser, i prefer to tack with a dagger grip. If you prefer to tack with the tiller extension behind you then thats where it is a disadvantage. Another disadvantage is when hoisting and dropping the spinnaker, if you put the tiller between your legs, then the extension often gets caught in the rear bridle.

It all depends on what you think will make you go quicker, whether you want upwind speed and pointing ability or u want to be left with a tiller extension that doesn't get tangled.

If im honest though, I tend to find that the worst that can happen is the tiller gets round the wrong side of the mainsheet, which is easy to overcome when it does happen.

You will also find that a rear bridle will have less sheet load (in my personal opinion), it seemed to work ok for me at the Europeans in a force 7, and I was only 15 last year!

In terms of how it fixes to the boom at the rear, mine is attached by a sling peice of rope to the rear of the boom, enabling it to just move freely under the boom, without any excess slack. It is also a good idea to have some straps or similar to keep the mainsheet running along the bottom of the boom, without it hanging you during every tack or gybe.

Hope this is useful

Will

Hornet 2108 - Ultimatum
alex_rogers View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 February 2007 at 22:07
Strang has a centre bridle and points like a god particularly in light winds which rather destroys the last argument!!!!!!!
Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2007 at 00:50
I sometimes take the main from the boom ie miss the last block in force 1-2, to get the main near c/line without down force. In force 0 - 1 the boom needs to be out anyway. Centre strop or aft bridle? KISS.
Will McGrath View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will McGrath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 February 2007 at 21:44
But take into account mast rake aswell???
Hornet 2108 - Ultimatum
Duncan West View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan West Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2007 at 13:35

arft bridle is useshaly about one and half purches to one, will make the main sheet heavy, but great for a short main sheet. Andy Long 2157 (as he was week in the arm ) had put an extra purchess put in at the end of the boom, did mean more to sheet in at the leeward mark, but easy to play.

centre main means you can easerly put in as many perches as you wish, also great for gybing in a blow as you can just grab the falls.

i have arft bridle and main sheet runs though the boom and also a gybing strop to help for the windy gybe.

Duncan
stevec View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 08:59

Thanks very much for all the comments.

Will, do you use a long tiller extension that makes it snag in the bridle?

I tried to work out by simple maths whether the mainsheet length would be different but it's a long time since I used my slide rule, so is there a significant difference? If the sheet is run through the boom, does it have extra friction in light weather?

I suppose the ultimate test is - has anyone changed back from a stern to a centre sheet system?

more power, more prizes!
Tony B View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tony B Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 February 2007 at 09:32
Steve, the rear horse mainsheet is slightly longer at around 7m with the centre main at about 6ish. At these lengths both need either the split main bridle (so both legs of the bridle can run through the first block) for the rear or the centre bridle for mounting a block onto (as high as possible).
With regards to which is easier I reckon (without the aid of a safety net or my notes from my mechanical engineering classes 25yrs ago!) that they are about the same! Without taking into account the length of the boom the rear main is a 2 to 1 purchase and the centre is usually (sheet tied to boom) 3 to 1. Once the length of the boom is taken into account however I think they probably even out...
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic