RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

mast class rules

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote maciej Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: mast class rules
    Posted: 21 August 2015 at 18:49
Hi,

if I change the mast heel from the standard to the mast heel with sheaves (which is a little bit higher) should I then shorten the mast? I have heard conflicting opinion, and for this reason I would like to discuss this topic.
Moreover, what is the maximum acceptable difference in the dimension between the lower point to upper point - not all Hornet mast have 5945mm.

John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 August 2015 at 22:09
The key is the measurement band number 1. This is aligned to the sheerline of the boat (in principle, the top of the side of the boat). You should already have a band at that point. You cannot move this. You can have anything you like below that line, but the total length will be fixed by the position of the mast heel.

If you add a sheave box, then yes, you will have to shorten the mast, assuming the sheave box is longer than the existing foot of the mast.

See this document for more details

Cheers
John
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic