RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mast Rake

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mast Rake
    Posted: 19 October 2011 at 18:46
Hi all,

Not specifically a Hornet question this one, and probably a really stupid question as well im afraid.

Basically, how do you measure it....... i know its the distance from the top of the mast to the transom (or designated point as per class rules or what not) but does the rig need to have a set amount of tension on it or anything or is it just a case of making sure everything isn't loose and then measuring.........
Wizard 2186
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 October 2011 at 21:53
Best answer Jono is to bring it up to Carsington this weekend and let the experts show you personally!

More seriously, Yes, you need the appropriate amount of rig tension on, and then do the measurement to a point on the top of the transom, or in your case I suspect, top of the rudder post? The thing is that that is a variable point on the Hornet, and you need someone with a well set up boat and similar transom to compare it to.

Actually, bringing it up to Carsington is a good idea! See you there!
Mike O
Jono View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2011 at 07:45
Cheers Mike, unfortunately i was cheekly asking this question so that i could do it on my Phantom (and probably my GP14), neither of my Hornets are at my club at the moment so i couldnt sail them even if i wanted to!
Wizard 2186
John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 October 2011 at 11:00
The most consistent way of measuring is to take the tape down to the bottom of the transom as this will be consistent across different boats (might not be the case for one-design boats like GP14 or Phantom). It might mean wrapping the tape around the top corner of the transom, but that won't introduce too much error.
Put the desired rig tension on (without mainsail) and measure it without pulling the tape too hard!
Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 21 October 2011 at 16:52
We used to measure to the top corner of the transom. This should be consistant between boats.
Personally I prefer to hang a weight off the main haliard and measure dist from gooseneck.
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2011 at 13:24
Originally posted by Strangler Strangler wrote:

Personally I prefer to hang a weight off the main haliard and measure dist from gooseneck.

To do this, which part of the hull should be level?
stevec View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 October 2011 at 22:30
When I originally set my boat up against Mike Mac's numbers, the rake was measured as per Strangler - put the boat horizontal (if you have a Goodwin, or Coombes as well probably, the top of the centreboard case is parallel with the waterline ) and put a plank over the length of the case to rest a bucket of water on - this is easy to see as a levelling device, then use the main halyard with a weight on and measure the distance from the gooseneck. I think Mike's number was 14 inches but all setup numbers depend on compromises with several variables such as type of centreboard, sail cut, mast length (short mast or long version), and the final figure may be well away from the suggested.
more power, more prizes!
Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2011 at 10:17
I would highly recommend that you stick to the conventional method of measuring mask rake (head to transom) for a number of reasons:
- It is easier than getting your spirit level setup
- when someone suggest you drop the mast back a couple of inches in a blow, you are talking the same language!
- If you measure to both quarters, you can also check that the mast is upright (arthwartships) 

Steve Cooke View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Steve Cooke Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 October 2011 at 12:10
But what if your mast foot is in a different place relative to another boat?
More power, more prizes, more pain, more glory
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic