RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Modified Spiniker Shoot

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Modified Spiniker Shoot
    Posted: 24 July 2007 at 12:54

Hey All

Has anyone out there Modified a Baker bow shoot? If so how do you go about it? I've compared mine to other boats and the shoot on mine is the original tiny one that i can barely get the spiniker in and out of.

Hope someone can help.

'Slippery When Wet' 2047

www.thespitalvaults.co.uk
Mud of Maldon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 July 2007 at 22:52
The modification is to remove the 'snodder', the triangular piece inside the shoot. On most 'revolution' type hornets, this is wood and held in place by a couple of long screws (not sure if this applies to a Baker hull though). It does mean crawling up under the foredeck. Also, the jib sheet barber haulers need moving further back.
Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2007 at 12:08

On my baker hull it appers that the snodder is made of fibreglass although this is proberbly wood sheathed in fibreglass. How much should be 'shaved off' the triangle? As for moving the barberhualer my hornet has a wire strop that leads from the point at which the forestay connects above the bow to an adjustable shroud plate underneath the bow which is about a third of the way up the deck. I would post a picture to make my rather poor discription easier to understand but it wont display for some reason.

Many thanks

'Slippery When Wet' 2047

Simon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2007 at 16:04

Sven,

The current "fashion" is to totally remove the snodder.  I'm sure a Baker will be the same as a Goodwin, with a wooden wedge which cen be removed (albeit glass sheathed), with a bit of care, you should be able to cut it off at the join.  Most boats have a stainless steel U to attach the tack of the genoa to the deck, you might want to modify yours to be the same.  The one on my boat only has 2 screws, one at the back and one at the front.  I'll be down at the club tomorrow, I'll take a photo to showyou.

When Dean (mud of maldon) mentioned the barberhaulers, he meant the jib fairleads.

Simon

roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 July 2007 at 21:44
Having seen svens boat the snodder and chute are very much smaller than on mine which is a goodwin.Probably about half the size.
chrisM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 July 2007 at 19:18

I would be very interested to see some pics of modifyed genoa tack. The U bolt etc. I have been considering cutting my snodder off or maybe just half of it. I quess you have to move the fairleads the same distance that the genoa tack moves? Anybody fancy writing an article to permanantly go on the website?

chris 2135

Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 July 2007 at 01:55

Good idea Chris.....

The same could be said for many bits on the Hornet. For example i spent ages looking for literture on how to arrange the twin poles set up that came with my boat but missing half the kit. Etc Etc...

Or we could just upload them ourselves?

'Slippery When Wet' 2047

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic