RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Mystery boat

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Mystery boat
    Posted: 21 October 2012 at 18:18
I have just collected another old boat which I plan to do up. Yes another planker.

I cant find an id number on the transom were they stamped anywhere else? The transom was covered by another piece of wood stuck over it and it came away very easily. Underneath is a ply transom which looks original but no number.

She looks like an old late 50s or early 60s boat.

Any ideas. Were numbers stamped anywhere else?

Roger

Simon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 19:05
I thought they were supposed to be on the transom.... but try around the c/board capping?
jimingram View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 19:42
Should be on the inside of the transom but if it has been replaced it will have gone. Any sails or other clues? Pictures when you have them  
Planker Jim
jim
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 October 2012 at 19:52
Hi Jim, Simon,
Thanks for your answers.

Transom is still sound, no idea why she had a false transom which would have put her out of class. The transom is open like Demons and Shoestrings so not much room on the inside but I will have another look.
I will try to upload some pics soon.
Southpaw View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 10:00
Hi Roger,

How are things progressing with your "Mystery Hornet". Hope you can post some pictures soon. It is possible that we can track down the builder from the deck layout, ie Doe, Rigden, Auder etc. Who knows someone may actually recognise it.

Regards

Peter.
Southpaw
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 December 2012 at 18:03
Hi Peter,

I am beginning to think she is beyond reasonable repair. The decks look lovely but most of the ply in the hull is delaminating or just soft. We have had the builders in so the boat work has been put on hold while the workshop has been filled with houshold essentials(not sure I would describe them as that).I can certainly post some pics of her once I can get back in the the shed.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic