RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

New Boat Builder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 09:54
I just read the Fireball discussion in more detail and I notice that there are suggestions for carbon and other developments - just to get things into perspective.
I notice that Nick Hurst at Shoreham has nsome views, so I'll have a chat with him to see if there are some common possibilities. The Fireballs at Shoreham are a bit perplexed about our dedication to the Hornet, but we normally beat them to a pulp, and who knows, maybe we can persuade them to the dark side one day.
We should also think about the youth side. I think the average age of the Hornet fleet is going up every year - I never expected so much competition for the over-50 prize! Some of those cheap boats on eBay could be purchased for peanuts and given to youngsters to play with
Harry Ashworth View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 29 July 2010 at 17:06
John, sorry no time pre Sandwich, please consider printing copies for the benefit of non-forum viewers
Floozie View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Floozie Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 July 2010 at 19:59
Hi everyone

I think committing to a builder, making compromises, and giving them the rights they need to make money out of selling hornets has to be the way to go to move the class forward. It could even be agreed to waive the comission charge to use the molds if nesessary. the class has paid for them, we could look at it as an investment to the future of the class instead. we have to do every thing we can to move forward, including taking big (calculated) risks

i'm sure any builder would be happy for us to add a clause that any one could still build (or have built) their own Hornet out of wood, so the class could still mantain some of its diverse look (that is part of its great character) into the future.

Jo 2115
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 August 2010 at 13:11
As a no longer paid up member I dont know if I am entitled to a say in which case please ignore.

As the owner of one of the oldest Hornets around in very unmodified condition it is obvious how much the boat has moved with the times since 1952. Although the hull shape is still basically the same they have certainly moved on a great deal.
If the class had stayed with the same rules and materials as were state of the art in those days the class would have died long ago(wooden mast ,cotton sails).
I think the proposal of a negotiation with a new builder and may be give up some of the independence the class has enjoyed in order to move forward then the opportunity should be taken as it may be the last chance you have.
The class has a great Heritage and history and there is no reason it cant go forward with the support of a builder such as Rooster but it does have to be worth their while.
Boats as diverse as the Osprey and the Graduate have all had shake ups lately and it has done them no long term harm.
I say go for it now while you still can.

Roger

Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 20:31
As the new membership secretary, could you please let me know why you are no longer a 'paid up' member?

roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 August 2010 at 20:38
Mainly because I no longer have a competetive boat but also we hit on some hard times and all extras had to go. I sold all my boats except Shoestring and the family geep but neither re worth much.
I dont need to be an association member to race cvrda so I have let it slip. When I win the lottery I will buy the first new Hornet.Smile
Southpaw View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 15:00
Returning to topic if I may.

The Championships completed and the AGM has passed. Is there any plan to publish the results of the discussion that took place sooner rather than waiting for the AGM minutes to be published in several months time?

In my opinion from reading the forum posts a definite strategy is developing about what needs to be done and I for one (before I return to the class) am interested in the next steps to be taken by the class.

Over to you.
Southpaw
John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 August 2010 at 18:34
If I may summarise, the general consensus of the class is to move forward and take some decisions without being too precious about the Hornet. A small sub-committee will be formed to (re)take up contacts with potential builders/partners, with a view to allowing sensible changes to the boat, without it changing drastically, and losing the essence of what makes a Hornet. All agreed that the builder has to have certain freedoms to make it commercially viable.
One suggestion was to revisit the idea of a larger spinnaker, and after a 'viewing' on the beach, I think it fair to say that 99% of people were for the idea, so this will be progressed sooner rather than later.
Also, a motion will be put forward at an EGM (possibly to be held at the Herne Bay open) to allow modern sail materials, a la Fireball. It was felt that their exclusion in the rules re-write was an oversight.
Southpaw View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 August 2010 at 18:03
Thanks for the post John, but I do have one concern.

The builders who have had a very positive impact on the class they now act for have been able to recomend changes. So much we know. Generating changes have been part of the commercial viability of the project.  

Surely leave the spinnaker as it is and let the builder work with the sub-committee to redesign/adapted the sail plan.  The more the builder feels he can influence the more commercial he may feel the project is.

I am glad to read that the essence of the Hornet is to remain, especially as we have a number of woodern boats in good condition even though the last wooden boat was built about 12 years ago.

So we are moving and that is great. Any idea on a possible timeframe for action? 
Southpaw
Southpaw View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 September 2010 at 20:16
Just a sort of postscript to this thread.

I note that the Supernova is now being produced by Hartley. The first thing they did was redesign the cockpit of the boat (did the same with the Osprey) and it is now reputed by those who sail the boat that the revised design is much better. Hartley have started their numbers at 1000 and have sold at least 14 boats so far.

The trend of established classes joining major boat-builders continues.

It is interesting that Rooster had been involved with the Graduate class for a couple of years before they started building boats. Steve Cockerell being National Champion for the two years before the first Rooster Graduate was built. I believe he started by looking at the rig.

I think we are in a very strong position to offer a good package.

We have our own mould as well as a rig that could be developed further. The class rules allow for a certain amount of development without having to change the class rules. Also we have a class structure and an open meeting circuit.

I look forward to hearing the results from those taking part in any negotiations, although I expect it will be sometime before there is anything to report.
Southpaw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12345>
  Share Topic