RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Newby needs some advice

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Newby needs some advice
    Posted: 22 May 2006 at 11:36

Hi I bought a Hornet on Saturday set it up in the afternoon and sailed her on Sunday had a great time but found a few hiccups.

1 The rig tension

The way the rig tension works is by two blocks of three pulleys on the mast which lead back to the back of the centre board casing. It doesn't seem right because I am struggling to get sufficient rig tension on it. What systems do other people use and are there any pics any where?

2 Mast Gate

My mast seems not to have a mast gate on it I would of thought there should be one?

3 Spinnaker system

The Spinnaker hoist and drop system on my boat seems pretty poor and is subject to tieing it self up it knots so is the norm a continues system with some kind of elastic take of?

Sorry for all the questions there is no other Hornets locally and I can't see any pics of the inside from foto boat.

Paul

Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 May 2006 at 22:31
Where are you? Maybe someone could come over and give you some advise.
Duncan West View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan West Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2006 at 07:50

hi,

on the mast gate, lots of boats have just an open mast gate, my baot has none, some do have a permenate one and then can be used to chock behind the mast to put bend in to the mast for light airs, others use mast ram to pull and push. no such thing as a standerd Hornet.

On the Spinnaker system, if you are using chute a continues halyard and down haule on bungy take up is used.

hope this helps

Duncan 2155

Port Dinorwic North Wales

pabs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2006 at 10:32

Hi

I am in Derbyshire does any one have any pics of the inside of the boat they could send me? I do have mast chocks so I suppose I should put a mast gate on her so I can put on pre bend.

Where do you take the elastic take off for the spinnaker halyard?

Paul

Will McGrath View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Will McGrath Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 May 2006 at 19:35

I havn't got a downhaul take-up on my boat, i find that a continuous rope works fine without it, i havnt yet got tangled! The trouble with a bungee take-up is that you have to get it just right, otherwise it doesn't work, or its too tight to pull the spinnaker down, much easier to go without if you can manage.

Hope this helps! They are an awkward boat to set up if not right as i'v found with my dads new hornet. Dont be put off, they are a great boat once sorted!

Hornet 2108 - Ultimatum
Duncan West View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan West Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 May 2006 at 07:50

hi Paul,

i have some photos of the lay out of a few boats,

my email is [email protected]

drop me an email and i can send them on.

Duncan 2155

pabs View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote pabs Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 June 2006 at 14:56

Another quick question

What is the benifits of cutting the crew deck out? apart from weight.

Paul

John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 June 2006 at 19:54

Makes it easier to get under the boom  But I've seen some disastrous conversions in my time. The old Revo crewdeck made for a very light rigid box structure, and cutting it about drastically reduced the life of those boats, without any (heavy) reinforcement.

Having played with the tupperware boat for a while now, I miss the old high crew deck with the Chimpy kick-out chocks, but it's what you get used to I suppose

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic