RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Open Meetings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

northern hornet meeting

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: northern hornet meeting
    Posted: 23 June 2007 at 15:00

I would love to race against other hornets but I am further north than sven. (S.W.Scotland) I would travel 150/200 miles to do so. Rutland and Bala seem to be the furthest north for open meetings. Perhaps It should be called the 'south of england hornet assoc'.

There is talk on the forum of low turnout, pehaps a better spread of events across the country would bring out some hornets that havent been seen for a number of years.

There are plenty of clubs north of birmingham, and plenty of sailers too. Maybe next year we could have just one meeting in the north of england, there are strong clubs in sheffield and newcastle for example.

I am aware that the majority of hornets are on the south coast and that it is a long way to travel, but i think it might promote hornet sailing in the north of the country aswell as the south.

Are there any other northern hornet sailers reading this forum, perhaps we could get a swarm together unofficialy?

Chris 2135

Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 16:10
Sounds Like a Plan Chris!
'Slippery When Wet' 2047

www.thespitalvaults.co.uk
Harry Ashworth View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 23 June 2007 at 16:39
I'm in the middle - Birmingham - we had an open and had 5 boats. In '04 the final fling at Carsington got 5 boats. Suggest a venue  and lets discuss it.
chrisM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2007 at 21:25

How about pennine sailing club?

Its halfway between sheffield and manchester. Quite high so plenty of wind, if not too much!

If other people are into it I will contact the club and see if they are agreeable.

chris 2135

stevec View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 June 2007 at 16:49
Would people be more keen to travel north if we had a 3-day northern champs just to make us suvvan sofftees think it was worthwhile instead of feeling we were stuck in a car for 2 days for just a short sail? I know from experience that going from Essex to Cumbria or Northumberland takes 5 hours without a boat so I am always impressed by the dedication of the barbarian hordes to travel to the opens darn sarff. Perhaps we could make the nationals a 5-day long weekend to keep the actual holiday time the same allowing for the extra days travelling? This may make us more acceptable to Clubs as well? Only a thought.
more power, more prizes!
Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 July 2007 at 22:22

Has anymore been thought of or done in the way of organising a weekend / 3day event for us Northern Monkeys?

'Slippery When Wet' 2047

chrisM View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote chrisM Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 21:15

I have been recomended Kielder .

http://www.kielderwatersc.org  

But maybe pennine is closer

http://www.pennine-sc.co.uk/

or somewhere else?

there might just be the three of us though, unless we can contact/find other northern hornets.

mabe we can just join in with some clubs normal weekend racing. saturday and sunday if possible to make it worth traveling

chris 2135

Sven View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sven Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 16 July 2007 at 23:54

Quote unquote from the Keilder website!

Classes with five or more entries will have their own start in addition to the slow handicap, fast handicap, assymetric and junior fleet starts. This years Open Meeting will be held on the weekend of the 8th and 9th of September.

Sounds interesting if we could get 5 boats together?

'Slippery When Wet' 2047

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic