RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Open Meetings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Opens 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (2) Thanks(2)   Quote Tobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 September 2014 at 09:52
Just waiting for the SI's to be confirmed but yes I understand first race is 10am due to tides.
Tobes View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 September 2014 at 12:29
Nor for weston here - http://weston.org.uk/pdfs/2014/NOR%20Contender%20Hornet%20Byte%20Open%202014.pdf

Barts bash entry here - http://www.bartsbash.co.uk/login-select
Sam Woolner View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Sam Woolner Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 18 September 2014 at 15:58
Hi Guys,

I'm afraid we won't be there this weekend, Will is moving house and I've got to work Saturday and a Dinner & Dance Sat night. I think I'll use the Sunday wisely and start taking my boat apart to go to uncle Tim on Sunday.

Have a great weekend all!

Sam
2108 Ultimatum

Exe Sails & Covers

Topsham

WWW.EXESAILS.COM

[email protected]
floozie 2115 View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floozie 2115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 20 September 2014 at 22:05
Hope you had a good day
How have you all got on?
Jo
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2014 at 09:46
Hi Jo

Definately a two day weekend, Saturday varying between a drift around and spiteful puffs, with Toby and Andy stepping only on the stones while the rest of us floundered according to the whims of the wind gods.

Sunday was very different, still shifty and lumpy, between 1 and 4? and definitely suiting Dave & Martin and Strangler and Matt, both boats in a class of their own. A very interesting second race as it was the Bart's Bash event, with 73 boats on the start line, with everything including foiling Moths, Hurricane cats, I14, 49ER, RS200s, 400s, 600s, 800s, Lasers etc, etc, as well as 22 Contenders, and a big number of Bites and Hornets. The first 10 minutes got everyone's attention!

Dave has promised us a race report, so I won't spoil it by giving you the final results, suffice to say it was VERY close!
Mike O
floozie 2115 View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floozie 2115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 September 2014 at 16:13
Sounds exciting!
Look forward to reading the report,
We gave Bart a good bash here too 43 boats on our start line from 49er to oppies including 9 phantoms visiting for an open. 2 hornets, Corin and I and Alex with his 4 year old daughter crewing for him. 2 of the phantoms gave us a very good race they were perfectly powered and the reaches were just too tight for us to be comfortable. Good fun:-)
Glad you had a good weekend,
Sorry to have missed it.
Gary View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Gary Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 September 2014 at 19:22
Hornet training.    I would like to record that on the Friday before the Weston open, Toby did as he promised and ran a training session for any interested Hornet sailor or would-be Horneteers, an open invitation for all, as my previous note mentioned. The fact was just Tracey and I turned up, but that was good news for us as Toby devoted all his time to double checking, and significantly re-setting more or less every setting we had! Unfortunately, the tides were not there to do any on the water training, but hopefully next time…….. With the advice on set up, coupled with more general advice Toby bestowed, both verbally and written, we found the session by far the most useful guidance we have had since we bought a boat (previous ad hoc help from various others both gratefully received but notwithstanding). On both racing days, in very fluky wind at times, Tracey and I set about trying to keep up with the other six boats. Without doubt, we were in the mix upwind, cross wind and downwind as, well as most if not all of the others at various times. Fluky wind aside, we even turned in a third place, which was the best result we have ever had. More importantly, with our general boat speed now comparable to others, we really started to pay more attention to what was happening outside the boat and where the wind was coming from and what direction we were going in etc., which is the next big step for us. Of course, we couldn’t leave the season without being true to form, and Tracey and I completely missed the shortened course flag in the last race, so whilst not the last boat passed the committee boat, whilst we were paying more attention to racing other boats, we went the wrong side of the line and returned a DNF! Oh well, next time eh. A massive well done and thank you to Toby, and the Hornet Association.
ALLSWELL, Gary
John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2014 at 15:35
Sounds excellent Gary - can I join in next time, could be useful (for me that is)

Now I'm back from NYC, I have to chase someone for a report. Do I assume from Mike's comment that 'Dave' is Dougall Henshall or someone else?

Will be nagging from now on........!
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 September 2014 at 18:07
Hi John, Dave Edge is the man to chase. There is an ambition to run a tuning and training weekend early next year with Toby and Ullmans, ideally end March early April. Interested parties?
Mike O
CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 September 2014 at 11:33
Sounds like a great idea. Toby, do you think Weston would have us back and maybe an earlier in the calendar open so you could do training on the Friday?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic