RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Planks

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Planks
    Posted: 17 November 2010 at 13:33
As a very new owner to a very old Hornet, please forgive me if i ask a few basic questions! Having never owned anything like this before, im  little green to say the least!

So, as for know i will be keeping the "plank" untill i have got used to the dinghy. But it don't seem to slide very well. Now when i bought the dinghy, i did find an old candle in the cockpit, is this what is used to help the plank slide? or has someone just been a little careless with a candle?

Cheers

Mark
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 16:45
Mark,

Candle wax is the best option I have found. Whatever you do dont pro lube it or allow it to run to freely as you need some friction to help keep it in place.
Many years ago when I crewed for my brother I complained that the plank was to stiff so he greased it up with something. It was wonderful to move but when I move my weight of the plank when out on the end it slid away from under me. I dropped in to windward and the plank became a very effective brake to leeward. It wasnt the fastes way up the beatConfused
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 17:37
Thanks Roger,

I assume it is just rubbing the candle against the wood work?

I assume after your incident with grease you had some srious words with your brother?

Cheers

Mark
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 18:37
Yes just turn the candle on its side and rub it along the bridge and all contact parts. In this colder weather you may need to warm it a bit.

I am sure others have different methods of lubrication
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 18:48
Thanks Roger!
Jono View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 20:02
Alcohol is a good method of lubricating the crew, thus a plank no longer being a challenge for them!
Wizard 2186
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 17 November 2010 at 20:56
Originally posted by Jono Jono wrote:

Alcohol is a good method of lubricating the crew, thus a plank no longer being a challenge for them!
I find its good for the helm too, they will believe anything you tell them after a few pints!

Cheers

Mark
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic