URL: http://www.hornet.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=157
Printed Date: 20 November 2017 at 00:27
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Sandwich 2006 Euro’s - the venue
Posted By: Eric Marchbanks
Subject: Sandwich 2006 Euro’s - the venue
Date Posted: 11 December 2005 at 21:40

Hi,

Have been down to the club at Sandwich Bay - your 2006 European Championship venue this morning 11th December, bright sun set a sparkle across the bay which stretches from the White Cliffs at Ramsgate around the flats of Pegwell and Sandwich and on towards Deal pier some 2 miles to the south of Sandwich. Its a bay that just makes you want to jump into a boat and sail!

The Club is situated at the Southern most end of Sandwich Bay Estate - which is fronted by a private beach, all about 2miles from Sandwich itself. The club is in two parts with a Race box behind the low sea wall which leads onto the club slipway. There is room to park some 30 to 40 boats by this, which means that you will only need to roll your boat over to the slipway or across the beach to launch. There is water available to wash the boats off after racing and a winch to pull up boats after (those of us that sail there often just pull dinghies up without using the winch). The other part of the club is about 100 yards inshore and consists of a small and friendly clubhouse with bar and on site camping of approximately 1.5 acres. There is free parking. The camping area is on the "sand flats" is well drained and easy to put in pegs!

The racing will be in the area directly off the club, so there will be no sailing miles to get to the sailing area and launching can be made at all states of the tide. We have laid on the usual committee boat and safety boat - those who have been to the last two TT's at Sandwich will be pleased to know that the race officer and team that have run those events have agreed to undertake race management for the whole of the event. You will therefore have two ex national champions and two more people who have been top of their respective fleets running the event. Because of the proximity of the race course there may well be more time for on-shore activities than at Dale.

Sandwich is looking to make this a really familly orientated event, and are open to suggestions, but at the moment are hoping to organise the follow childrens entertainment:-  Bouncy castle; treasure hunt; ground maise; along with the usual puzzles and toys that can normally be found in the club.

In the evening, we will be going for full on entertainment, which will include disco's & bands. Also the games evening which Jo will be arranging again will have some input from the club, as we are trying to get the loan of various "gladiator" style equipement. We will be organising a bowling event each evening.

Following the success of the evening meal arrangements at Dale, Sandwich Bay has arranged for evening meals at the Club and will be also be offering a full range of catering from Breakfast, Breakfast with Packed lunch through to breakfast, packed lunch and evening meal and combinations thereof.

One thing I learn't from Dale was that there is a need for food and bar to be open for competitors arriving on the Saturday and this will be arranged. 

Because Sandwich Bay contains some of the best Golf clubs in the World (British Open etc etc) accomodation can be quickly snapped up. To help, the club has already booked on mass the accomodation available at the Sandwich Bay Bird observatory, which is cheap and chearfull dormatory accomodation with central kitchen arrangement, but also has one flat, these are available for competitors to rent on a first come first served basis (this is  new complex). Also locally, the Chequers pub has 3 top quality four berth flatlets at about 85.00 per day/night (just over 20.00 per night per person) You will need to book these quickly and say you are coming to the Hornet European Championships at Sandwich Bay Sailing Club if you want one of them. Both the Chequers and the Bird Observatory are within 10mins cycle ride on very flat country from the Club.

Sandwich itself has various Pubs and Hotels and the North end of Deal is also within easy reach. List will be going out shortly, but in the meantime anyone wanting accomodation urgently, please ring me 07793535665 or 01304 614030 (eve) or 01304 613023 (wk)

The whole area is actually a tourist area, from Sandwich and the North end of Deal with their quaint streets, quai and pier through to Broadstairs, Canterbury and Dover - all within easy reach

The fleet is returning to an area that has raced Hornets almost right from the beginnings of the class and Sandwich Bay is a club where Hornets are understood and the committee at the club will do its best to ensure that we have catered for everyone. However, we do need to get entries as early as possible so we can set budgets to give everyone the best possible deal. To help you decide, a new McNamara job is to be commissioned (Mike has offered to make this at nett cost to cover materials only - thanks Mike) and this will be raffled for those who enter early enough, so enter as soon as possible - you will see on the entry form (elsewhere on the web site) that there are various methods of paying your entry.

Look forward to seeing you at the event

Eric Marchbanks Hornet 2178 (Commodore SBSWSC)     

-------------
Best Regards
Eric Marchbanks
Hornet 2178

Replies:
Posted By: CLINT
Date Posted: 14 December 2005 at 12:52

Just thought I'd mention that there is an award winning web site called open-sandwich.co.uk.  It has some stuff to do in the area and a list of accommodation. 

cheers

CLINT 

Posted By: Mud of Maldon
Date Posted: 14 December 2005 at 19:33
Eric, don't forget the puppet show, and art & crafts for the kids as discussed at Stone (Sandie said that).

Posted By: Duncan West
Date Posted: 15 December 2005 at 19:30

This missed going in Mainsheet so I have put it up on the Forum

Hi Jo

Just quick note, I have put a bit of blurb in the general section of the web site ref Sandwich Bay - Clint Styles also mentioned http://www.open-sandwich.co.uk/ - www.open-sandwich.co.uk  as a web site worth looking at - it has some good stuff on it for Sandwich - I might have an odd one where I would suggest no one wants to stay if they contact me.

Is any of this worth copying in main sheet - also have you/can you mention that SBSWSC has taken the option on the Bird Observatory accommodation to ensure that it is available to sailors, as I need to unload the liability of that as soon as possible can you advertise it, I will need to let them know what is being taken as soon as possible and if no one wants it go back to them by the end of January so they have a chance to re-let to golfers etc.

Yours sincerely
Eric Marchbanks

Posted By: Olly Turner
Date Posted: 19 December 2005 at 17:18

Hi Eric,

I've found a holiday home for the champs next year and was wandering if you could tell me how close it is to the yacht club. The house is near the Gazen Salts Car Park in Sandwich, it should be nearby but would like to know for referance

Any help would be much appreciated.                                       

Cheers

Olly Turner

2113 ''Horny Too!''

Date Posted: 19 December 2005 at 21:07

Just found your msg in my private messenger. Thanks for all your help, and keep up all the hard work because its sounding great so far.

Cheers

Olly Turner

2113 ''Horny Too!''

Posted By: Harry Ashworth
Date Posted: 20 December 2005 at 11:24
Olly, are you helming or crewing 2113??

Date Posted: 23 December 2005 at 19:32

I am helming 2113, and shall be campaigning at the euros.  It'll be gd to see some old faces and hopefully some new!

See you all there!

Olly Turner

2113 ''Horny Too!''

Posted By: Eric Marchbanks
Date Posted: 10 January 2006 at 10:35

Hi

Just a quick note for the kids - we have arts and crafts set up for the kids - one of the parents is an art student and she does really good face painting - still working on the puppet show.

For the big kids - bungy running is still being investigated for the games night.

-------------
Best Regards
Eric Marchbanks
Hornet 2178

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk