Forum Description: For topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else
URL: http://www.hornet.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1821
Printed Date: 20 November 2017 at 01:54
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dinghy Show Ally Pally 28th/1st March
Posted By: mikethelark
Subject: Dinghy Show Ally Pally 28th/1st March
Date Posted: 14 February 2015 at 14:52
Hi Everybody, it's that time of year again. 

The Association is exhibiting Sam Woolner's European Championship winning boat, fresh from a re-furb courtesy of Tim 'Chippendale' Coombs on our stand C48, right in the middle of the Great HallBig smile

We are surrounded by the great and good including Seldens, Hartley Boats, RYA Youth and Seahorse fittings, so I'm sure you'll find us easily enough. As well as the boat (and the magnificent trophy Sam & Matt won) we will be having a flat screen TV with photos and video footage on a loop to add to the interest. If you have any contributions you think might be appreciated, please pass them on to Sam (Dean?)

We also have some Hornet polo shirts for sale, and we hope that all stand personnel at least will wear them - they are a suitably vivid yellow with black graphics, so you can see us coming. We also have a nice lot of yellow and black frisbees to give away to the populace advertising the class. I dare say there is a possibility a few might get passed at the show!LOLLOLLOL

As ever, we still need a little help to man the stand. We have some volunteers already, those I know are Sam, Will Magrath, Dawn & Toby Barsley-Dale, Simon Evance, and Strangler, which leaves 3 passes going begging in return for a morning or an afternoon on the stand. In the polo shirt.

First come first served!

-------------
Mike O

Replies:
Posted By: Southpaw
Date Posted: 15 February 2015 at 17:29
Hi Mike,

I will volunteer but have already got my ticket, so put me down as a reserve if you are short. 

Great news about being in the centre of the Main Hall.

I did not realise that Tim Coombs is a Chippendale !! 

Peter.

-------------
Southpaw

Posted By: Dick Garry
Date Posted: 15 February 2015 at 19:29
Hi Mike

I will be coming up on the Saturday, so for a free pass can do a stint at some point in the afternoon - if needed.

Dick G.

Posted By: CLINT
Date Posted: 16 February 2015 at 09:47
Hi Mike,

I did send you an e-mail saying I can do all day on the Saturday.

Cheers

Clint

Posted By: Mud of Maldon
Date Posted: 17 February 2015 at 21:02
Put myself and Adam down for a stint on Saturday.

Posted By: CLINT
Date Posted: 18 February 2015 at 09:16
Dean,

will you have the stuff for membership paying at the show?

Cheers

Clint

Posted By: Simon
Date Posted: 18 February 2015 at 11:18
Can we stream the rugby onto the big screen? :)

(on a more serious note, I can bring a wifi hotspot should we want some internet access ?)

Date Posted: 18 February 2015 at 13:28
I do like the idea of rugby on the screen, but perhaps not advisable!

All passes on their way except Strang's, just waiting for an additional vehicle pass to get you and the ad stand up the slope Strang.

You can see it's going to be a full stand on the Saturday, all those bright yellow polo shirts glaring away, I'll have to take my new shades with me Wink

-------------
Mike O

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 10:31
We are all set except for a lack of camping chairs if anyone can bring two or three??

We have a 'SIGNIFICANT' number of frisbees to entertain the crowds with, and the latest polo shirts available for the princely sum of £15, to be modelled by all stand staffers just so you can see us coming, and allegedly Sam has finished re-stringing the boat.

Sounds almost too good to be true.

See you all there!

-------------
Mike O

Posted By: Sam Woolner
Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 20:08
It's all packed up ready, 100% show ready, just not 100% sailing ready! 😄

-------------
2108 Ultimatum

Exe Sails & Covers

Topsham

WWW.EXESAILS.COM

[email protected]

Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 20:33
Nonsense Sam, don't you remember sailing it last weekend, very pertinent when Mark Jardine comes a calling to check out the concours d'elegeance score Wink

Mind you, the polo shirts will probably dazzle him!

-------------
Mike O

Posted By: floozie 2115
Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 22:34
I have almost talked my family into getting the weekend off to come down to London. I could be there most of both days on the stand, if I come is there a pass left for me?
Jo x

Posted By: Strangler
Date Posted: 26 February 2015 at 23:03
Hi Jo, if you do not hear from Mike ring me when you arrive, we should be able to sort something, even if its devious means.
Cheers Strangler  07847 220148

Posted By: Sam Woolner
Date Posted: 27 February 2015 at 19:50
I'm
Sure we can get you in :-)

I'm
A bit concerned about strang being devious though.....

-------------
2108 Ultimatum

Exe Sails & Covers

Topsham

WWW.EXESAILS.COM

[email protected]

Date Posted: 01 March 2015 at 23:21
Great to see you all, especially Jim :-) he was missed at the champs last year.

I was defiantly missing sailing and in need of some hornet sailor company and hugs.
I now feel like I have had my fix.
I hope it didn't take too long to pack up the stand (sorry I couldn't stay and help) and everyone had safe journeys home
Looking forward to next time,
Hopefully we will get to Weston.
X

Posted By: Simon
Date Posted: 02 March 2015 at 13:05
Think we all drove off about 7pm, so wasn't too bad.

Date Posted: 02 March 2015 at 13:40
My thanks to everyone who helped, especially Sam (and therefore Tim even if he had buzzed off skiing) who had a number of difficulties to overcome getting the boat to the show, but it looked fabulous. The Hornet themed/coloured kite created a lot of interest to say the least, particularly as it was visible from miles away! That and having the power point display as well attracted a lot of people.

We had a stunning day on the Saturday, with more than twenty enquiries and appearances from new owners etc, which is a huge improvement over normal, and it looks as though none of us will have any problems getting a crew for a bit. The Sunday was quieter, but we still had some more people to add to the list. The polo shirts looked great, very bright, and I am relieved/pleased that the Frisbees went very well, we were complimented by a number of exhibitors on the effect of them - they couldn't understand why they kept appearing down various chutes etc. 

All in all, the best result for some years. More effort to follow :-))

-------------
Mike O

Posted By: Mud of Maldon
Date Posted: 02 March 2015 at 20:10
Yes, a huge thank you to Mike and crew. What a fantastic effort. The best show for years. Could this be the start of us turning a corner. What next? The moulds?

Date Posted: 03 March 2015 at 11:36
YES!

-------------
Mike O

Date Posted: 03 March 2015 at 13:53
I hope so, would be wonderful to see the moulds being used!!!

Posted By: Southpaw
Date Posted: 03 March 2015 at 16:45
I agree, if production starts again it will see the market value of the entire fleet start to increase and that is good news for every boat owner out there. Great news for those who Owen enough boats - sorry I mean own enough boats to almost have their Owen personal fleet - sorry I mean own personal fleet.

Let us keep the momentum going.

Well done everyone.

Peter 

-------------
Southpaw

Posted By: roger
Date Posted: 03 March 2015 at 17:48
A few positive comments on the Y&Y forum saying how friendly you all were.

-------------
K191 Shoestring
595 Demon

Date Posted: 03 March 2015 at 20:01
Nice comments, we are all very friendly, one of the many reasons I sail a hornet.
Anyway,
If you want to find the comments they are on the forum under
Dinghy classes
Dinghy development
Dinghy show
Page 7 and 11

Posted By: John Shelton
Date Posted: 07 March 2015 at 21:02
bit concerned that Dick might be considering an Osprey?

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/181652/Osprey-class-on-the-rise" rel="nofollow - http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/news/181652/Osprey-class-on-the-rise

check out the pic......

Posted By: Dick Garry
Date Posted: 09 March 2015 at 19:21
It's ok john - i was just checking out for you if a carbon rig was capable of supporting the more mature, fuller figure. Wink

The gentleman on the left is an ex-hornet sailor, who has very fond memories of sailing a planker at the age of fifteen.

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk