Forum Description: For topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else
URL: http://www.hornet.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1823
Printed Date: 24 November 2017 at 09:11
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Dinghy Show 2015 Review
Posted By: mikethelark
Subject: Dinghy Show 2015 Review
Date Posted: 10 March 2015 at 21:41
Just to check 'Lessons Learnt' after our best show for some years, anybody who has an opinion on what we did right or wrong, or what we didn't do that we should have, please express (politely please) your views here.

I will start the ball rolling with my own views.
1) Attendance was excellent on the Saturday, relatively quiet for the Sunday, reflected in the difference in number of names taken on both days.
2) Sam and Tim deserve our congratulations for the state of the boat, it was a credit to both. The yellow and black kite with the battens was inspirational, and I'll lay odds it is copied by others for next year.
3) Advertising for crews and having our 'marketing agents' in the persons of Jo Powell and Dawn B-D worked exceptionally well and will definitely bear repetition. Dawn and I working on how to get the best out of the response.
4) Whether it's wood, composite or all plastic, we MUST have a new boat on the stand for next year.
5) Our Frisbees certainly got a great deal of attention, and I believe will help the cause long term.
6) The telly with the slide show (thanks to Sam and Will's mum n dad - our former own Liam) provided an extra point of interest, even if they were all of Sam's boat. Next year we need some exciting footage, so all hands to the pumps for that please. It would be great to get some ace 'drone' footage, though I don't know how we achieve that yet.
7) The bright (VERY BRIGHT) yellow polo shirts looked great, and gave us a 'Team' image, so that we were easily recognised in the Hall - unfortunate when we were surreptitiously stuffing the frisbees into spinny chutes etc, but they worked for me. They are now on sale generally!

Thanks to everybody for their assistance, now it's over to you.

-------------
Mike O

Replies:
Posted By: CLINT
Date Posted: 11 March 2015 at 10:18
Agree the boat looked fantastic so well done Sam and Tim

Well done to Mike for pulling this together

We need to get the names taken in boats. We must work on an Association boat that we can make available for events and trials sails as well as get the people offering to crew hooked up with helms

There are not that many boats on the market so we need to encourage people with personal "fleets" to let some go.

We need to set a date by which if no moulds are recovered we move on. We are just in limbo at the moment. There are builders interested but until they know if we have moulds or not cannot do any real costings. We do also have wooden builders interested but I am not sure of the cost difference.

My two penneth

Clint

ps great to see you all at the show

Posted By: Southpaw
Date Posted: 11 March 2015 at 14:48
Now for my two penneth....

First, the need for a new boat is critical but in this regard we need more than just a new boat, we need to raise our profile by having a respected builder who will join us to market the boat. Put another way it is no good having a Speed Hornet when Speedsails did not even bother to put us in their catalog. 

Second, we should view the exhibition as a means of collecting data about the present state of the class. To update our database, locate "lost" Hornets, update where they are being sailed as a means to get more to our open meetings and anything else which comes to mind as being useful. 

Peter

-------------
Southpaw

Posted By: Strangler
Date Posted: 12 March 2015 at 18:19
Well done to everyone involved.
Posted on the Y&Y forum this evening-
"I went for the first time in years, and it didn't look much different to how I remembered it. For me, the best looking boats at the show were on the Merlin stand, but then of course I would say that. I 'hovered' at a few other stands but it was only on the Hornet stand that someone came over and engaged me in conversation; on the others the people 'manning' and sometimes 'womanning' the stand seemed much too engrossed in their own internal conversations to pay any attention to new faces closely inspecting their boat. More than a few missed opportunities there, guys... "

Posted By: mikethelark
Date Posted: 13 March 2015 at 18:32
We like that. Wink

See also on Y & Y the article ref 'The Hayling Chart' trophy returned from the dark, well done to Peter & Jim.

-------------
Mike O

Posted By: roger
Date Posted: 14 March 2015 at 14:17
Great article about the Hayling Chart Trophy, what a great piece of history. Perhaps we can get 140 out again to sail for that if its ever re run.  

-------------
K191 Shoestring
595 Demon

Date Posted: 14 March 2015 at 16:45
Now is Roger suggesting that we run a series (or single event) for the more, shall we say, 'senior boats' of the class? Would we get enough boats out to make it work?

I know that the CVDRA run events that Hornets attend but this would be an event run in conjuction with the 'not so senior boats' of the class.

What do others think! 

Peter

-------------
Southpaw

Posted By: Sam Woolner
Date Posted: 14 March 2015 at 19:06
How do you class senior boats? Mines 35 years old and qualifies for the cvdra......

-------------
2108 Ultimatum

Exe Sails & Covers

Topsham

WWW.EXESAILS.COM

[email protected]

Date Posted: 15 March 2015 at 19:15
I was hinting about something like that Peter but didn't go the whole hog because getting the older boats out is a bit of a challenge at the best of times.

As Sam says the CVRDA cut off would include most off the current boats including one time CVRDA nats winner Seaman Staines.

Just a thought, what about floating the idea of a one off event running alongside either a Hornet open or a CVRDA event with the cut off being the date the last time the trophy was competed for.
The other event it could be tied into could be the Bosham Classic Boat weekend. If there were enough boats there may be a separate start.
It does of course rely on getting enough interest and boats out.

-------------
K191 Shoestring
595 Demon

Date Posted: 15 March 2015 at 20:15
I was not thinking about using the strict CVRDA criteria.

How about using a class specific cut off point such as those with sail numbers under 2036. If my memory serves me right (others please correct if wrong) boats prior to that number where a heavier weight.

I agree that it would be virtually impossible to get a fleet of sliding seat Hornets with the small rigs though it would be interesting to find out how many would attend an open meeting.

We really need to have more information as to where the boats are at present irrespective of age.

Peter

-------------
Southpaw

Date Posted: 16 March 2015 at 17:51
I have two, 140 is in Devon, Jim has two, and I think Geoff has one. Not all sliding seat boats but all old ones.
As regards weight I reckon Shoestring is lighter than the red revo we had.

It would be good to see what interest there is.

-------------
K191 Shoestring
595 Demon

Date Posted: 17 March 2015 at 10:11
Perhaps we should start a separate topic to collate information concerning old boats and their location. This probably should have been carried out during our 60th year but never too late to start. if we get enough interest we could hold a rally somewhere central to their location.

Just a thought.

Peter

-------------
Southpaw

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk