Forum Description: For topics that don't seem to fit anywhere else
URL: http://www.hornet.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=1849
Printed Date: 21 November 2017 at 08:16
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Jim Ingram
Posted By: John Shelton
Subject: Jim Ingram
Date Posted: 28 October 2015 at 11:31
I'm sorry to have to report that Jim Ingram, long time stalwart of the Hornet class, died last night. As many of you know, he had been ill for some time, but was active on the water until only last week.
I have many happy (mostly beer-related) memories and I'm sure we will all miss him

John

Replies:
Posted By: Southpaw
Date Posted: 28 October 2015 at 22:47
I too have many happy (non beer-related) memories of Jim when I used to race against him at Shoreham with the 15th Hornet Fleet based at the Sussex Yacht Club. Unfortunately my helm and I were never able to beat John "Oggi" Hollingsworth and Jim though I once came third behind him when helming 610 Final Fling, a Hornet he discovered and bought a few year ago.

When the wind blew he could really work his plank, hooking off the end so much that he must have had steel plates in the back of his calves. Like me he preferred the sliding seat to the trapeze, I still do.

He has gone, as has Richard Alardyce and Chris Tew. The die-hard plankers are becoming quite rare now. 

-------------
Southpaw

Posted By: CLINT
Date Posted: 29 October 2015 at 09:20
Very sad news and a real loss to the Hornet Class

Posted By: mikethelark
Date Posted: 03 November 2015 at 10:30
I spoke to Jim's wife Jane this morning, she is managing quite well. 

The funeral will take place at The Hastings Crematorium, The Cemetery, the Ridge, Hastings, TN34 2AE starting at 11.45 am on November 17th, with a reception to follow at The Whiterock Hotel, near the Pier in Hastings, TN34 1JU.

All Horneteers will be welcome. If you are going to attend, please contact me and I will make sure that Jane and the family are aware so they can keep some track of numbers.

Mike Owen, 01902-831120/07761-413983

-------------
Mike O

Posted By: Southpaw
Date Posted: 18 November 2015 at 22:00
Jim's funeral took place on Tuesday 17 November 2015 attended by about 150 people. A real testimony to his life and the impact he had on those he met.

There were a large number of aging Horneteers, many from the days when the boat used a sliding seat in preference to the trapeze. Included in those attending were quite a number of sailors from the 15th Hornet Fleet - based at the Sussex Yacht Club. It was, in this regard, quite a reunion. Jim crewed from Jim "Oggi" Hollingsworth in Hornet 1031 El Diablo and the two Jim's won the fleet championship in 1970, runners up were Chris Langmaid and Jane Parkes in Hornet 784 Nefertai. So Jane spent the year chasing Jim on the water, but on land caught him as they were married in July 1973. 

I was quite surprised by the number of different designs of tie with Hornet motifs on them being worn, from the understated 15th Hornet Fleet tie  I wore (they were very thin in early 1970's) through to the more modern designs covered in much larger Hornet signs.

Helmsman and long standing friend Geoff Furlong gave a very moving eulogy and we learnt a lot about Jim, who was more than just a keen Hornet sailor, he had a real heart for people. It was then that you  realised why so many people had turned up.

The thought and reflection was given by Lieutenant Luke Johnson of the Salvation Army who spoken from the reading John 14: 1-6 & John 14:27. The reading being chosen by Jim himself. Speaking to Luke Johnson, who was very young,  after the service it appears that Jim had quite a long association with the Salvation Army though not an active member.

Finally, Jim gave his own Eulogies which I am sure he will not mind me sharing.

Long One - "He Sailed, He Taught, He Cared"

Short One - "Bye Jim"

And finally the Eulogy that says it all - a Humorous One,

"Old Hornet Crews Don't Die, They Just Fall Off Their Planks."

-------------
Southpaw

Posted By: floozie 2115
Date Posted: 19 November 2015 at 18:16
I am so glad so many were at Jim's funeral, I was very sad to miss it. I enjoyed the champs that I sailed with Jim, a big loss to the fleet, he will be greatly missed. X

Posted By: mikethelark
Date Posted: 20 November 2015 at 15:51
One of Jim's requests was that his fellow club members should wear jeans for the funeral, and I was puzzled until his helm Geoff supplied the following explanation direst from the man himself. I think it deserves to be shared and enjoyed as Jim intended.

Jim on Sailing Attire

(OR - real crews wear jeans )

In days of old, when knights were bold and paper wasn’t invented….

(If you don’t know the rest you’ve led a sheltered life)

Anyway, in days of old when I was young and Hornets hadn’t long been invented, I took up sailing. My mum was keen to kit me out in the latest gear and so on her modest budget bought me a Peter Storm cagoule and waterproof trousers. School plimsolls, my best (and only) jeans, T-shirt and woolly jumper made up the rest. It was immediately apparent that even when crewing Herons, waterproof trousers would not last more than 2 races and were quickly dispensed with. The jeans lasted longer, but the rear end needed constant patching. A previous set of jeans did the job, but we all aspired to jeans reinforced with a “Watneys Red Barrel” beer towel.

This was the standard attire, far better we thought than the navy jumper, Viyella shirt and slacks of the previous decade.

For 15 years or so my brother and I assembled a wardrobe of gear, one side jeans and T shirts, the other side piles of woolly jumpers. On a windy 3 day bank holiday we could get through the lot, there was only a mangle at the club to dry things.

Wind strengths were one jersey, two jersey, three jersey and -- "the froths blowing off my beer lets go inside".

Eventually someone marketed sailing wet suits kits. You had to glue them together and you felt like a knight in armour, so not great for crewing. We still sailed at sea all winter, often without rescue cover.

I did eventually get a wet suit when Hastings wouldn’t let me sail without one, but to protect it I still wore jeans. They are windproof in winter and cool in summer.

I still wear jeans sailing, partly out of habit and partly to protect my wetsuits. Mainly though I do so purely because they seem to amaze some people and get up the nose of a lot of the establishment.

My old Hornet helm, Oggi Hollingsworth has retired now and donated his sailing bag to me. It contains, among other things, two Watneys beer towels . Watch this space.

To jog my memory I looked up a few old photos. “Ditcher” Allardyce modelling the latest gear, Og and me more interested in beer than fashion and a Hornet out for a blast, both helm and crew in JEANS !

Jim Ingram

He was a wonderful character, and will be sadly missed by many.

-------------
Mike O

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk