Consultation- Falmouth a good venue ?

Printed From: RYA National Hornet Association
Category: Public
Forum Name: Events - Championships
Forum Description: Discussion area for Championship topics
URL: http://www.hornet.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=216
Printed Date: 19 November 2017 at 21:40
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Consultation- Falmouth a good venue ?
Posted By: Bovver boots
Subject: Consultation- Falmouth a good venue ?
Date Posted: 21 August 2006 at 19:26

National Championships 2007 – Consultation.  Return date by 30 September 2006

Those present at the AGM at Sandwich will recall I mentioned the potential for a National Championships to be held at Restronguet Sailing Club on the Beautiful Carrick Roads Estuary as part of Falmouth Dinghy Week 2007. The dates will be 12 to 18 August 2007.

The purpose of this report is to seek Class Association feedback, preferably on the forum or to my e-mail account mailto:[email protected] - [email protected] as quickly as possible and in any event by 30 September 2006 so I can continue should the Association agree, with setting up the arrangements and form a local Committee based at Starcross.

I have just returned from Falmouth Dinghy Week and report as follows:

1. I attach a race report for the week which should be going in Y&Y and Dinghy magazine. It is a very general report and reflects handicap fleet starts because there were no classes with over ten boats.
  2. The Port of Falmouth Sailing Association (Pofsa) run the Regatta. There are two regattas running concurrently. One is for Yachties and working boats etc, the other a specific Dinghy Regatta run for Pofsa by Restronguet Sailing Club.
  3. We would have our own starts and probably our own courses and committee boat if we make our intentions clear early enough.
  4. The estuary is in my view easily big enough for good championship courses to be set. Tidal influences are limited in strength. Local knowledge always a feature but not a race winning determinant. Classes who have held very successful Nationals to my knowledge at the same location are the RS200 with over 100 boats and Wayfarer with 76 boats as part of the Falmouth Week Regatta in 2000. ( Michael Mac will offer his own views and is supportive)
  5. The Principal Race Officer would be Ian Fraser (Designer of the Dart Catamaran), a local resident and current Commodore of Restronguet Sailing Club.
  6. The Race organisation this year was excellent with results appearing almost as we came off the water. Each start was filmed on camcorder and top few finishers filmed with times alongside as they crossed the line. This helped with protest committee hearings of which there were a couple.
  7. Rescue facilities are provided as part of the overall Regatta organisation which in turn draws on the resources of six local sailing clubs.
  8. Boat parking would be at Windsports alongside Restronguet sailing Club. This has an excellent and sheltered slipway onto the gently sloping beach.
  9. Boat washdown is at top or bottom of slipway.
  10. Car parking is either on Windsports own carpark alongside boatparking or the council owned sites in Mylor harbour.
  11. Showers /bar/changing room /galley are all at Restronguet Sailing Club. These are excellent facilities. They sell W.Rowe pasties which are a ‘must have’ at the end of racing. There are lots of home baked goodies and on several days of the week, free or ‘donations offered’ teas/meals to go with social events. These included Commodores reception/ Restronguet’s own sponsored race day/Whisky tasting/hog roast/live music etc. The range of Social events throughout the Regatta week is too long to go through but is very varied and suits all tastes, much is family based to appeal to those who bring their families down for a holiday whilst they go sailing.
  12. Racing starts at 1100hrs. Two races are run back to back, generally concluded by early to mid afternoon which allows those who wish to go surfing on the north coast or to a south coast beach or local tourist attraction the opportunity to make this a real family week.
  13. The Dinghy Regatta is six days Sunday to Friday. This year we had a round the harbour fun race on Tuesday which took us on a canter around all the harbours in the Estuary. This was an excellent two and a half hour sail which had Will and Matt in Hornet 2108 crossing the line first but losing out to Mum and Dad in their Wayfarer on corrected time.
  14. The last day, Saturday, is optional. It is the Falmouth Town Regatta, a one day affair with lots of separate prizes.
  15. Accomodation is many and varied. It is not possible to camp shoreside. I have temporarily secured as many pitches as we might need, as a group, at Cosawes campsite just ten minutes drive from Restronguet near Ponsanooth. This takes caravans, campers and tents and is priced very reasonably. It is just off the Falmouth to Truro road and very handy for access to everywhere. The nearest surfing beach, at Porthowan is just eight miles away.
  16. Holiday cottages and a plethora of Hotels etc are available but need to be booked early and by that I mean this side of January 2007 to be sure of securing the accommodation you might want.
  17. Sponsorship. I have already secured a promise of contribution in prizes and goodies from the main Sponsor ‘Henri-Lloyd’. Again they need to be ‘booked’ the sooner the better. They have been very generous. We had a £100 voucher last year and Will and Matt got the same this year. ‘Henri-Lloyd’ are particularly excited at the prospect of a photogenic Dinghy such as the Hornet possibly holding their National Championship as part of ‘their’ Regatta so this could be a case for striking whilst the going is good.
  18. The other main sponsors ‘Old Pulteney’ whisky would also be willing supporters and would offer bottles with prizes.
  19. Pofsa have been approached by me and they along with Restronguet Sailing Club would very much welcome us as a National Fleet. This would add substantially to the profile of Falmouth Dinghy Week and would inevitably benefit the Hornet Dinghy as a serious class coming back to prominence.
  20. Costs. Regatta entry for this year was £78, adult and £50 junior (under  21) or £90 and £65 for late entries.
  21. Boat Parking was £35 for the week.
  22. Car parking was £24 for the week at Windsports.
  23. Accomodation and food are separate and the range of cafes and restaurants/pubs etc is huge.

In summary this would be a different type of event with costs that are higher in total but on a par with many other National events of less duration. Wayfarer Nationals are £75 for entry alone for a four day event this year.

This event offers the opportunity for a weeks’ holiday entirely suited to families/couples with a serious Regatta and all the mardi-gras type atmosphere and resources that sets Falmouth alive for this period.

Our National Championships would become a key feature for the Dinghy Week and the profile of our class has to benefit. I have undertaken to meet with the Chair of Pofsa and progress our requirements if this is what the association wishes. The earlier we move the more likely I can secure discounts and sponsorship deals. I will need to book a location/service provider for our prizegiving dinner to follow the Royal Cornwall event and make sure we finish in time for Fireworks at 10pm.

Risks:

·        Not an open sea event which may put some helms off.

·        Courses set which might cross with other classes. This can be limited by sailing in separate areas which we can influence. The Estuary is big enough.

·        Variable winds. As with any estuary it is likely a range of strong to light winds will be experienced over a week with different directions. Some will see this as a positive.

·        Costs. Could be a little higher but bring a package of free events and a magnificent Firework display above Falmouth on the Friday evening after prize giving.

·        Need to commit early..get plans in place before Christmas if possible.

Benefits:

• Excellent race organisation and rescue facilities.
  • Excellent boat parking/launching/changing/showers/bar and galley.
  • Fantastic sailing on an estuary which could have been built for the Hornet Dinghy.
  • Range of sailing conditions giving all weights/crew combinations a chance.
  • Superb holiday destination.
  • Too much to do in one week
  • Full range of family activities throughout the week to help sailors’ families be a part of the whole event.
  • Estuary side public footpaths give excellent viewing of racing at all times.
  • Surfing beaches just twenty minutes away or less.
  • Party atmosphere.
  • Good sponsorship.
  • Good public profile for the Hornet.
  • Wide choice of Accomodation.
  • Chandlery, two minutes walk from launching at Mylor Harbour

I have laid out the prospects for an event which I believe could be a turning point in the Class history. I anticipate a strong turnout with people purchasing or borrowing boats to take part. With sufficient notice given, I anticipate paintbrushes and sailmakers could be busy. I would expect some European travellers because in spite of the distance this would appeal as it is such a well known holiday destination.

A flavour of the event can be found by visiting the following websites.

: http://www.falmouthweek.co.uk/ - http://www.falmouthweek.co.uk/ : and : http://www.mysailingclub.org/

I am not however intending to take the class in a direction it does not wish to travel and if the feedback given is not positive I will take arrangements no further.

Please respond to me by returning the attachment by mail or cut and paste by e-mail.

I am very happy to answer any questions you have. Mobile 07711 999223

Liam McGrath

Chair

International Hornet Class Association

p.s. I do understand Jo’s concerns about the potential to lose the close ‘togetherness’ which we all enjoyed at Sandwich. Perhaps we can seek to ensure that by making sure the social events for the Hornet fleet are good family events and each is a ‘must attend’ I think we can do this.

-------------
Liam

Replies:
Posted By: Bazzer
Date Posted: 24 August 2006 at 19:01
As long as the class can maintain its own identity within the event and not become also rans, then I think this could be a good week.

Date Posted: 24 August 2006 at 21:23

Bazzer

If we become also rans I will be very pi---d. I have sufficient knowledge of the people running the Dinghy Regatta I am as sure as I can be the chances of us not maintaining our identity as a fleet are slim.

I can't offer any guarantees but I will be travelling down to Cornwall to liaise with the organising committee and will speak strongly in favour of the class and the benefit to the event of this being seen as a success for us. I will offer to bring anyone from our Association down to ensure relevant experience and knowledge of the class preferences.

Liam

-------------
Liam

Posted By: Harry Ashworth
Date Posted: 30 August 2006 at 13:57

The real clincher for me is SEPERATE COURSES. I've sailed in many events where my position has been damaged by a backmarker  or even leader from another fleet.

I agree with Jo about the social effort we would need to preserve the "team" aspect - both Dale and S'wich were great from this point of view.

I applaud Liam's efforts,but it has slightly cut across activities by me and Tom - who were of course happy to be appointed co-ordinators for champs 2007 - in contacting other clubs for 2007.

we need class feedback so Liam can get on if we want him to or Tom and I can do what we were asked to do. At the time of this post i see some 103 views have preceeded me- I have been away in Spain - WHERE ARE YOUR RESPONSES??

Posted By: Tom Guy
Date Posted: 30 August 2006 at 18:07

No one should be under any illusion that this event will be anything like Sandwich. Sandwich was very successful for a number of reasons: Eric’s presence and support as Hornet enthusiast and Commodore, sponsorship specific to the class, exceptional friendly club, good catering, and most importantly, camping on site. I suspect most people will take up the offer of B&B or self catering, rather than camping, even though it is only 10 minutes drive to Ponsanooth (this is exactly what happened at Dale). So immediately, the class is dispersed from the outset. If the socials are then hosted by different clubs each evening, we can the situation whereby we only meet on the race course.

If we decide to go to Falmouth, much of the hard work of organising the sailing and social side will be covered by Pofsa, so our efforts will need to be focussed on getting our members and importantly their families together as much as possible to ensure that they feel part of the Hornet class. Suggestions for how we achieve this could be a separate topic on the forum.  

If you have thoughts or ideas or how we can make this event "special" please get in touch

Tom 

Date Posted: 31 August 2006 at 20:10

All

Having just got back from Weymouth where we took part in the Wayfarer Nationals and at the same time have been in contact with Falmouth, I have to echo some of the concerns voiced by Harry and Tom.

I certainly had no intention, nor wish to cut across their efforts. Falmouth would have difficulty in offering dedicated race management for the Hornet fleet. We would probably experience some of the interference from other fleets and would definitely have to wait for slow backmarkers from slower fleets e.g. Pico,Mirror and Laser 4.7 to finish between races. For Hornets in gusty conditions this would be a very long and uncomfortable wait.

Weymouth S.C.looked after the Wayfarer fleet superbly with dedicated race management and superb social events in great surroundings in the old harbour. This experience on the back of Sandwich has influenced my thinking and raised concerns which I could not alleviate.

I have received some very positive reaction to the Falmouth proposal, but some very reasonable concerns. The purpose of this exercise is to get some debate going and to do so now before it is too late to book somewhere.

Tom/Harry have you some alternatives ? Weymouth do 3 Championships per year but no camping on site. Shoreham was suggested but we sailed with some of their Committee at Weymouth and they could do a long weekend at best.

Liam

-------------
Liam

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk