Forum Description: Discussion area for Championship topics
URL: http://www.hornet.org.uk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=471
Printed Date: 22 November 2017 at 12:48
Software Version: Web Wiz Forums 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com

Topic: Abersoch champs CANCELLED
Posted By: Harry Ashworth
Subject: Abersoch champs CANCELLED
Date Posted: 18 June 2009 at 16:39

Your committee has decided we need to CANCEL the Abersoch event due simply to lack of committed entries. I have just delivered the news to SCYC at Abersoch. So it's OFF.

It was looking like we would get 9 -10 boats at best!!!

We are looking for a viable alternative, possibly a long weekend, later in the season, so watch this space. This will also affect the AGM, again watch this space.

(Technically, as I write this, we do not have enough paid -up members to hold an AGM . I would implore Hornet sailors to support the class through this troubled period by paying their subs, which are only 25.00. We still need to have funds to enable us to exist; many sailors only join to permit sailing at the champs ( although the rule requires membership for opens too - though only one of helm / crew since AGM 2008)).

In case anyone reading this thinks this was an easy decision, it wasn't. Both myself and Kevin have paid for our accomodation in full, made leave arrangements etc. Strang opted out of a prestige FD event in favour of attending. We have dropped SCYC "in it" - they did NOT in fact ask us for a deposit when we  booked.

Hopefully we'll be able to rebuild after this, all comments very welcome.

Replies:
Posted By: Jono
Date Posted: 18 June 2009 at 16:56

I think it was probably sadly the right decision to call it off, its a shame that so many people opted out to this degree.

I would be more than happy to offer Maldon as a potential venue, i know it wouldn't necessarily be ideal but it could be run cheapily for everyone and we would have the capacity to run it, the offer is there.

-------------
Wizard 2186

Posted By: roger
Date Posted: 18 June 2009 at 17:06

From my point of view and one which i have mentioned on several occasions. I could not afford to take a whole week off family for a  sailing event and add entry fee 170 plus accomodation, plus expenses. you are talking about a very expensive event. The Hornet is now a minority class and three or four races a day over a long weekend would make a far more affordable event.

I also think and have mentioned before you have a small number of competitive boats and the rest are left behind on the beach. I suggested a classic section some time ago and offered to get it up and running but nothing happened.

You are i am afraid reaping what you have sowed.

Posted By: John Shelton
Date Posted: 19 June 2009 at 09:18

Roger, I agree with you that a long weekend is a good idea, and I will kick off a discussion in another thread.

However, I really don't think there is a small number of competitive boats, with the others left on the beach. The Hornet is (in)famous for its longevity, and there are still a lot of competitive boats around - and even if you can't find an active one, it's not difficult to find a sleeper and bring it up to scratch. Take 2144 for example. That boat slept in a barn for a few years, and it really didn't cost very much to bring it up to speed. OK, its main handicap is the old codgers sailing it, but I'm sure in the right hands, it'll be around for a good few years yet.

The problem is not the number of boats, it's the number of sailors, and we are not attracting new people into the class.

I agree a vintage section would be fun, but it would have to be pre-Goodwins, and it would probably not be a very big section

I think the failure to hold the championships in Abersoch was a combination of a few things, expense being one, recession/unemployment another, and distance from active fleets another. But we would have been there, as it's one of the only chances we get to sail against other Hornets

Cheers, John

Posted By: Jono
Date Posted: 19 June 2009 at 09:50

I agree with Johns point about not attracting new sailors into the class.

As an owner of a DC boat i think it was a great shame that the boat wasn't advertised on the forum, now i dont know whether this was the fault of the builder or the class or more probably both.

After the grand launch at the boat show, where were people to go to find out more, see pictures, get in contact about i?! Wasted opportunity to bring kids into the fleet.

-------------
Wizard 2186

Posted By: Tom Guy
Date Posted: 19 June 2009 at 12:43

Thanks Harry (and the other committee  members) for your efforts in trying to organise Abersoch; I'm afraid circumstances have conspired against you.

Agree with John's comments regarding lack of sailors, not boats.

Jono - Not sure what happened about the promtion of the new boat but I do remember a member who was supposed to be providing pictures of their new boat so we could see what all the fuss was about.... Different thread maybe?

Posted By: cbrealy
Date Posted: 30 June 2009 at 21:35
There is a chance that Herne Bay Sailing Club could host a weekend event on the first weekend in September. We are hosting the Europe Nationals then. I will explore the possibility. Chris Brealy 2174

Posted By: Harry Ashworth
Date Posted: 01 July 2009 at 10:00
Chris - please call me - my numbers are on the home page
under "class contacts".

Print Page | Close Window

Forum Software by Web Wiz Forums® version 10.18 - http://www.webwizforums.com
Copyright ©2001-2014 Web Wiz Ltd. - http://www.webwiz.co.uk