RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Purchased Old Hornet

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neroshero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Purchased Old Hornet
    Posted: 20 March 2011 at 20:50
Hi everyone,just purchased a old hornet, intend repaint and varnish. I was given a box of bit which are from the craft but I have no idea about the rigging, can someone please help. regards Ian
nellydog
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 March 2011 at 08:16
Hi Ian, I'm sure we can help, but give us some clues. What is the boat number? The rigging you will need is pretty much standard kit. ie (obviously, I know) fore-stay + 2 shrouds to hold the mast up, halyards for main , jib & spinnaker, main & jib sheets (latter are usually 'continuous' because there is always too much rope around) + spinnaker sheets, 2 trapeze wires+ hooks + elastic to pull them in across the boat etc, etc.

Whereabouts are you based? Is the boat fit to be rigged? We may well have someone not too far away who can help.
Mike O
Neroshero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neroshero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 March 2011 at 18:41
Hello Mike, the sail number is showing H144 it has been living with the sea cadets In South Shields,its not in a very good state of repair but I feel I can save it from the scrap yard. I was looking for any diagrams or any information on the dinghy. I live in Bradford West Yorkshire ,regarding the boat being rigged it maybe a while before I can revamp the hull and decking because most of the fittings have been removed and placed in a box and then it would be possible.I think that most of the kit to do this is with the boat. Thank you for your reply,I suspect I may have placed it in the wrong place.
nellydog
Simon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2011 at 16:30
http://www.hornet.org.uk/default.asp?page=228 shows pictures of the layout of modern boats, to give you an idea.  Roger is probably the best person to speak to about the more "vintage" era boats though.
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 March 2011 at 23:22
Hi Ian,

Does it look anything like this??

mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 March 2011 at 19:41
Wow, that does look like a fine example as I have ever seen of curvaceous boat building! Do not EVER think of re-decking it!

Seriously Nellydog(?), H144 sounds like it may be just the sail number to me. The class rules state that the boat number shall be engraved on the transom, so have a look there and see if you find another number.

I would tend to suggest that you do whatever work needs to be done to the decks, having first taken lots of photographs of them, you will probably be able to make out where the original fittings were sited, photo them in position, make a sketch and record the relevant measurements, and then remove the decks if you have to.

I don't know of another Hornet in your area at the moment (Tom Guy would be worth a call) but there may well be another owner that is not a member of the association who is near enough to have a look in and share the details. 

Failing that, I suppose it depends on how confident you feel doing it on your own - it is mainly a matter of logic and personal preference at the end of the day, or come and visit us at the open meetings, or bring it down to us here in the midlands one weekend. 

Keep us advised of progress!
Mike O
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 March 2011 at 22:00
Hi Ian, Do you have any pics of your new purchase. There are many differnet layouts for the Hornets. be nice to see yours in the flesh so to speak.
Neroshero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neroshero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2011 at 17:43
Hi Roger,the dinghy is in my father in laws garage at present,will be able to take some pictures this weekend,it was purchased on e bay number 320664935806 with a few pictures on this site. thank you for your interest will get back asap with photos.
nellydog
Neroshero View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Neroshero Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 May 2011 at 19:15
Hi again have managed to remove some of the old varnish and paint ,the keel is showing DB201.the pictures are not much.
nellydog
Southpaw View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Southpaw Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 May 2011 at 16:39
DB201 sounds like Dayboat 201 !!

Peter
Southpaw
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic