RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recovering the spinnaker!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Recovering the spinnaker!
    Posted: 27 November 2010 at 15:12
Hi all,

Been down to have a look at the spinnaker set up today, and im having difficulty launching and recovering it in the chute! Anyone give me any pointers? I have the uphaul through the mast to the head of the spinnaker with the other end throught the chute and infront of the spinnaker attached to the clew in the centre. It just seems so tight in and out of the chute i am worried i will tear the spinnaker?

Cheers

Mark

Obviously not the correct sail number!
richard garry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 10:34
Hi Mark

Looks like you could be trying to get a 140sq ft kite down a hole made for an 80sq ft kite.
Check your chute size measurements. Some polish and silicone spray around the opening may help.
Maybe using bags could be a solution.
Dick G. (2154).
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 17:08
Thanks for the reply,

Was wondering about the spinnaker size, when pulled into the chute i do end up with about 750mm of spinnaker int the crew area!
Guess i may need to look for a smaller spinnaker then!

Cheers

Mark
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 21:30
Hi Mark

Looks like your flying an old Fireball kite. This may be bigger than the current Hornet size anyway.
The 80sq ft kite was (so i am told), the size used for your age of boat, before the upgrade.
Ask the old owner if he knows when the shute was fitted, he may still have been using the smaller kite .

Regards

Dick G. 

Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 28 November 2010 at 22:35
Hi Dick

Had a measure up against what i could find on the main site and the spinnaker did seem to be within the maximum allowed.

The chap i bought it from did pile me up with a few sails and a couple of spinnakers, but to be honest they all look like they will need replacing sooner rather than later.

Just need to decide which dinghy gets the new sails first, not going to be an easy choice!
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 19:05
Hi Mark

Has to be the hornet, but you could put an ad on the forum asking if anyone has some reasonable 2nd hand sails for sale, if you don`t want to buy new.

Regards

Dick G.

alex_rogers View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 November 2010 at 23:56
I have a pile of hornet spinnakers of varying vintages
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2010 at 08:32
Originally posted by alex_rogers alex_rogers wrote:

In that case i think me and you may need a chat!

Regards

Mark
roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 December 2010 at 17:04
Originally posted by alex_rogers alex_rogers wrote:

Alex have you got a cotton one for a 1953 boat.Wink
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 December 2010 at 20:51
That kite looks suspiciously like a small (LOL) 505 version to me! I like the photo though - very well done for that! You had better tell us how you did it Mark, cos we all like piccies!
Mike O
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic