RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Recovering the spinnaker!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 December 2010 at 00:15
I can remember using a spinnaker of exactly the same type when I was crewing Fireballs in the mid-70s- a Mountifield 15 panel very full and very powerful but not too good on tight reaches. Mike Mountifield also made a 12 panel flatter version and made me a similar scaled-up pattern when I moved into 505s. Fireballs used bags so their kites were made iin Dynat - a very stiff fabric only available in white, but the bigger 15 panel ones were in Polyant, a much softer cloth more easily able to be stuffed in the bags with the greater volume they had. Mike made me a compromise kite which had Polyant centre panels and Dynat edge panels so the slippier Polyant could go down the chute of the 505 easily but maintain its stability with the Dynat leeches. It worked well! Shame we had a new Rondar hull in the year that Parker brought out their type 25! I think Parkers were in the first 10 places in the worlds that year, when in the previous year Rondars had 2 or 3 in the top 5! Still, no problems like that with the Hornet eh!
more power, more prizes!
alex_rogers View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 00:01
what photo?Confused
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 December 2010 at 10:50
Originally posted by alex_rogers alex_rogers wrote:

what photo?Confused

In my first post on this thread is a picture of my Hornet!
jimingram View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 18:54
Yes I do have a rayon 1956 one with brass Englefield clips on each corner for 353. but more usefully I have a mint old style kite number 600 odd which would almost certainly fit that shute Jim  
jim
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 December 2010 at 19:58
Originally posted by jimingram jimingram wrote:

I have a mint old style kite number 600 odd which would almost certainly fit that shute Jim  
Which chute? My chute?

Cheers

Mark
jimingram View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 27 December 2010 at 18:30
Yes your old small shute. I must check that it has a downhaul I will get in the loft once the Christmas and the flu are over.Cry Both needed industrial quantities of Whisky so need time to recover! Confused  jim
jim
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 31 December 2010 at 14:17
Originally posted by jimingram jimingram wrote:

I will get in the loft once the Christmas and the flu are over.Cry Both needed industrial quantities of Whisky so need time to recover! Confused  jim

I know that feeling! Had a cold a week before christmas and even after a couple of bottles of Grouse i still cant get rid of it Dead
jimingram View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jimingram Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 12:10
Kite is black and red Musto number 775 with downhaul. Yours for the extortionate price of a promise to let me crew on a windy day. Jim  
jim
Demon View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Demon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 January 2011 at 14:36
Thanks Jim,

Thats a price i can cope with very well!

Cheers

Mark
alex_rogers View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 04 January 2011 at 00:00
that's what he thinks.......Confused

- only joking Jim!!!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic