RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Rule change - sailcloth

Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Rule change - sailcloth
    Posted: 08 August 2010 at 15:58
I refer to another thread on this topic. At the AGM last Sunday there was a strong lobby in favour of relaxing all restrictions on sail cloth - at present we cannot use 'decent' laminate material owing to Rule G.3.2.(a) :'the ply fibres shall consist of polyester or HMPE'.

An amendment so the rule reads 'the ply fibres are optional'  is all that is needed,  and could be considered at an early EGM.

So I need  a written request to put forward such a proposal ( see Class Constitution, 7(a)) 'signed' by 15 members.  We could hold the EGM at Herne Bay open, but would need a quorum of 11 members.  I believe a post on this forum should suffice as a'written request'. Any member  in favour please post below, in good time to permit the required 6 weeks notice to the membership to be given.

CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 08:55
I am in favour.

Clint
John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 17:32
I'm in favour. I would comment that the wording 'the material of the ply fibres is optional' might be better.
Maybe we should just run it past Dave Chivers at RYA for a form of words?
Harry Ashworth View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 20:16
on 14 May, on the 'permitted sailcloth' thread (started by you John) Dave C said:

To sum up, the rules have not changed and the RYA format has had no influence on what was allowed. If you want to move to Aramids (Kevlar) and Carbon in the sails then it is a simple process of changing the class rules. There will be no objection from the RYA if the class has voted in favour.

If you have any queries then just shout but if you want the wording to allow anything then you would change G.3.2(a) to read: The ply fibres are optional. This would allow absolutely anythin
g.

Hence my proposal. I have since calculated that to hold an EGM on 9 Oct notice would need to go out before 28 Aug.
mikethelark View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote mikethelark Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 20:48
I believe that I am overall in favour. From what I have gathered over the last couple of years, there is no significant advantage of Laminates over the Dacron, except that they do keep there original (as manufactured) shape right up until they suddenly fall to bits. The Dacron tends to wear like your favorite sweater, but only the odd seam comes apart.

For a VERY full discussion (albeit with NO result, so we're not alone) go to http://larkclass.org.forum, press 'next page' about 4 times until you get to 'Laminate Sails' dated April1 - not a joke I assure you. The discussion was viewed nearly 1200 times and prompted 33 replies which is probably a record. 

Worth a read - and you can read it as a guest, no need to sign up.
Mike O
Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 August 2010 at 22:53

I would like to see the rule change.

John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 10:20
Originally posted by Harry Ashworth Harry Ashworth wrote:

Hence my proposal.

I should have known better than to correct a solicitor Wink
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 August 2010 at 10:22
damn right.....
kevin View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 August 2010 at 21:14
In favour of the proposal
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 August 2010 at 08:13
I know this thread has been read many times - are there any more in favour? Please?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  123>
  Share Topic