RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Safety

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Safety
    Posted: 21 July 2009 at 17:40

Some of you may have heard about a tragic accident at Keilder Water 2 weekends ago involving a Laser Bahia. There is a lesson to be learnt.

http://www.yachtsandyachting.com/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=5 703&PN=1&TPN=1

To quote a posting-

"The professionals will be reporting fully in due course no doubt, but the bald outline as observed by those on the scene is that the crew got a trapeze wire wrapped round her foot at spreader height. The boat inverted rapidly and the helm died trying to save his crew.

Two things we are looking at on our boat are tightness of trapeze elastic so that loose feet are less likely to get wrapped in the trapeze wire and a mechanism to prevent the board retracting totally so that we can increase our chances of not inverting. "

So check your elastic, floppy trapezes are not merely an inconvenience, its a safety issue.

John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 July 2009 at 09:13

Good post. Missed this incident, but it happens more often than we think.

I was trapped under a 14 a while back (lots more wires to get tangled up in) and Pete reckons I was underwater for a minute. I managed to destroy a trapeze clamcleat, with my hands, getting free. Note sure I could do that voluntarily, or hold my breath that long.

I always carry a leatherman in my buoyancy aid, but it probably wouldn't have saved these lives. Very sad.

Eric Marchbanks View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Marchbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 August 2009 at 14:46

I have sailed with a number of people who after a capsize try scrambling up the inside of the boat to get to the upward gunwale - unless they are extremely active and quick this invariably turns the boat turtle.

The trouble with the Speed Hornets is that they float very high when they are capsized and laying on their side, and sometimes even when reaching over to get the job sheets to pull on I have found it needed a quick dash back along the centre plate to stop the boat inverting (11.5stone leverage) as I have reached the crinkly stage maybe I will fit capsize line like they used to on the Albacores. The other problem with them floating so high is the distance one has to reach the plate, let alone to yank oneself out of the water on it. However, when they do right, they come up with little water and are pretty much ready to sail off.

Best Regards
Eric Marchbanks
Hornet 2178
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic