RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Slot Gasket

Post Reply Post Reply
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Slot Gasket
    Posted: 30 September 2008 at 08:47

After nearly sinking at Netley I have decided to do some much overdue maintainance and as a result of a proper inspection the slot gasket is bu**ered.

At present it is held by two strips of ali screwed in place. Is there a smoother more effective way of fitting it and what suggestions for materials to use?

Your help appreciated

Roger

Jon Bailey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 12:38

Mine is just stuck on and a screwed on at the stern end underneath the skeg (new hornet).

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 16:12

Roger what have you been doing - nearly sinking?

I'll send you details of my unique pat pending way of putting on the gasket.

alex_rogers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2008 at 23:46

think that is pretty standard - only real choice seems to be cloth or mylar gasket

Mylar better until it gets kinked, cloth may be better later on.....

alex_rogers View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 00:00

he still uses a "stuffer" so obviously not that watertight!!

roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 October 2008 at 08:53

Strang, Alex.

Chris put his size nines down a bit hard and a large crack appeared in the floor. This was ok while the sea breeze was on and the bailers worked but as the wind dropped so the boat settled. Its the joint where the two sections of ply meet and Tim says its quite normal on those boats.

Currently on her side in the shed waiting to dry out and then some TLC. Shouldnt take to long but decided to do the other jobs while I was at it.

Strang looking forward to your patent method appearing in my inbox

Rog

John Shelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 15:31

oh go on Strang, do tell....

My preferred method is to use grey duct tape. Remove the ally strips, and then apply tape along the whole length of the slot. Replace the ally strips to make sure it can't come off.

I find it has virtually eliminated any turbulence in the case. However, we find the boat extremely unstable downwind as a result, and for some reason, we can't point at all upwind.

Does anyone have any advice?

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 16:57

What, gaffer tape? You could try banana skins instead- helps with pointing, but its a bu**er for downwind stability.

My method - Mylar strip applied in two sections, front and rear with an overlap. If you want the full details I can send them.

John Shelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 02 October 2008 at 17:14
that's what we use. Seems to work quite happily with a gybing board too. Now we're experimenting with an inflatable slot stuffer - I can't find anything in the rules about it (but that doesn't seem to stop anyone else)  A steady stream of helium bubbles spreading aft over the planing surfaces has got those Merlins beaten.....
Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 03 October 2008 at 00:25
Don't ya know the Bermuda Triangle theory. Boats need water to float. They sink in bubbles. You'll be telling us you have inflatable battens next. Hmm theres an idea.
 Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic