RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

snodder

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: snodder
    Posted: 10 February 2008 at 21:14

I've recently bought a Hornet (Goodwin Revolution) & am considering removing the snodder.I have read Sven's post, but remain uncertain about fitting new jib tack point aft of the chute.Has anyone got a photo or sketch illustrating a sucessful solution to this problem? Cheers, Walley.

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 February 2008 at 23:02

I cut mine back half way and shaped it in situ. Chute plenty big enough. The stainless strip is made from R2290 [P71 P&B catalogue]. I had to cut it shorter and drill new hole - not easy.

Where do you sail? Wot sail number?

Simon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 February 2008 at 10:21
I completely removed my snodder and just re bent the existing jib tack fitting to fit.  Not very elegant, but it works.
walley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 February 2008 at 20:12
Thanks for info. Perhaps I'll compromise and cut three quarters of it off.Our boat is 2054 Spotty.We intemd to race it in fast h'cap at Poole.
roger View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 08:33
Walley are you going to the Starcross steamer March 2nd ? Usually a few Hornets there. 
stevec View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 09:20
I have retained the full snodder with no problems so far, so what is supposed to be the advantage of removing it? I thought one of the benefits of doing away with the spi chute in those boats that did, was that as well as removing the weight of the extra strengthening from the bow, and stopping all the water dumping in the chute and being held by the spi, the jib tack could be mounted as far forward as possible, and give a less constricted slot, also moving the jib cars forward so not cluttering the crew area. This was done in 505s and Scorpions with some success but obviously put a premium on good crew technique launching the spinnaker and more importantly retrieving it. Perhaps a sailmaking expert (Mike Mac?) could comment?
more power, more prizes!
John Shelton View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 11:41

Steve, I think you make some valid points. The snodder disappeared between the time I went off to sail other boats, and then accidentally came back into Hornets. Was there a revision in the way the genoas were cut to compensate for the tack being further aft? Or are all genoas cut on the assumption the snodder is (or isn't) there. Surely it must make a difference?

For myself, I've never had any problems with snodders (but I'm seeing a doctor), although I imagine it does shorten the life of a kite slightly

walley View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote walley Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 13:23

Good job I didn't remove the snodder, otherwise I might have had to stick it back on.

The boat won't be ready in time for Starcross Steamer.

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 13:23

I would say

Snodders have been known to break, it's a highly stressed sticky out bit, and shortens life of spi.

Would a genoa need a different cut with a less than 5 degree? change in luff angle. It creates a bigger overlap [good/bad?]. Tad more mast compression. I just went back a hole or two on the jib track. Don't think it slowed me too much!

stevec View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 February 2008 at 13:59

I have to say I was lucky that I had my tack bridge/snodder area rebonded when I had my new foredeck fitted. It was all sound but while the deck was off Nigel at Paintcraft advised I have it done while he was fitting all the other deck ribs which had come loose. Regarding the jib shape, when I bought my Mac jib and also when I won the early nats entry Mac jib last year(a happy surprise!), I wasn't asked about the size of my snodder(!) so I would guess it makes little difference to the jib shape so moving the tack forward should have some effect on the fairleads fore/aft position. When I moved my tracks inboard I religiously followed the Mac tuning guide but when I rigged the boat I found that the cars had to be at or near the front of the track. Comparing jib tacks with Mike Mac's. he has little or no snodder on his Coombe boat so it had an effect of about 120mm on fairlead position. I haven't noticed any excess wear on the kite but then I probably don't sail it often enough, unlike Strangler who's always out playing, which has obviously enhanced his performance! If you want to take advice from anyone, take it from Strangler; if Strangler says cut it off, you'd best do it - just use a sterile blade and don't forget to cauterise it afterwards!

more power, more prizes!
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic