RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinaker Poles.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
Author

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Spinaker Poles.....
    Posted: 08 June 2008 at 20:15

I am currently running a double pole system that is quite stiff.

when i try to pull either pole out its is quite hard work.

the poles run through a pully on the mast and then the rope goes through the deck to me (the crew)

I think it might be the pullys that are causing problems.

can anyone give me help or advice on the matter? thanks

Dan

Simon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 June 2008 at 20:45
Check the elastic in the boom (that retrieves the poles).  if it's too tight, you will be fighting against it as you launch the poles.
DStone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 18:00

Oh I forgot to mention that. i replaced the elastic doing the job (what an eppisode that was. my helm let go of the end and it went shooting down the boom )

anyway i diverge.

the elastic is actually too loose. the poles dont retrive that well and just dangle untill i push them back into the boom after hitting my head.

Dan

iain marshall View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote iain marshall Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 09 June 2008 at 22:16

this might sound silly, but it maybe that you are using a not so stretchy type of elastic.  I have found that some brands are more stretchy than others. 

If you use a not so stretchy brand, the elastic will reach its maximum stretch very quickly and therefore make the last bit very stiff to pull out, therefore meaning that you are fighting the tension in the elastic that has effectively no give in it...

I have found that Liros elastic seems to do the job.

Hope this helps

Iain

DStone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 19:39

oh

well i've never thought of this.... 

although i think that is not the problem

its the pullys on the mast. what is the best system to run the launcher through?

Dan

alex_rogers View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2008 at 23:54

for a single fly away pol a spiro is the way to go but they do cost....

Doesn't work for a double pole  system though (although did see a custom double spiro fitting at FD worlds last week!!

DStone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 09:36

Spiro?

is this a brand or a thing? and can i find on the interweb?

John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 11:33
Originally posted by alex_rogers alex_rogers wrote:

for a single fly away pol a spiro is the way to go but they do cost....

Doesn't work for a double pole  system though (although did see a custom double spiro fitting at FD worlds last week!!

Is this the "custom double spiro pole system" you are talking about Alex?

Simon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 11 June 2008 at 18:51

Fantastic, where do I get one of those ?

alex_rogers View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alex_rogers Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2008 at 00:46

I think spiro was originally separate make but taken over by Selden some time ago. I  Found it in Purple marine listings: http://www.purplemarine.com/Product.aspx?ProductCode=508-479 -01

(i did tell you it was not a cheap option!!)

Not sure if this includes bollock for end of Pole.

Also found an Australian equivalent but similar price:http://www.binksonline.com.au/store/prod2859.htm

Post Reply Post Reply Page  12>
  Share Topic