RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Spinaker Poles.....

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote stevec Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2008 at 08:42

I still use a twin-pole system on 2080, and when Northampton Sailboats supplied my new mast 3 years back, I asked if a twin-pole pulley bracket was still made as I had one on the previous Z-spar mast. Apparently it is still available, I think made by Z-spars. Not as pricey as the Spiro either! Try contacting Northampon Sailboats or looking at www.sailboats.co.uk 

more power, more prizes!
Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2008 at 13:47
So thats where my T shirt went!
DStone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 12:08

thanks

if i can find the thing on the website i might just save to get it. or just beg to my parents  

Jon Bailey View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jon Bailey Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 13:22

It's a difficult one to get right and takes a fair amount of time to get right, there are a few things to think about:

Elastic in the boom.

Your launch system, good pullies and good rope

Downhaul - the elastic needs to be perfect otherwise it will be slack and the pole will sky or the pole won't go out.

I suggest setting it in stages, push the pole out by hand to test the elastic, then test your pully system and then adjust the downhaul elastic to the right length. You should find which bit is causing the issue.

It may also be that you need to launch the kite slightly whilst your crew is launching the pole as well, the sheets might be tight or slightly too short.

Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 June 2008 at 20:34

Also check the uphaul length. My take off point is now just below the spinnaker on the mast. The original exit point (set for a single pole) on my new Super Spar was too low and stopped the pole going all the way out and hard too launch.

DStone View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote DStone Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2008 at 17:24

Well thanks very much for all of your advice  

i have been out this weekend and i have wirked out that its the pully system that is tight or snagging.

i've just got a couple of pullys on the front of the mast dangling on some shackles. (i think that's the problem)

The Spiro option is way out of budjet and and i dont think it works with 2 poles. can anyone think of something.?

thanks again Dan

Simon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Simon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2008 at 18:35
Maybe use ball bearing blocks on the mast ? (if you haven't already that is).
Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 June 2008 at 19:01

I have two ball bearing block "dangling" on some shackles and has worked well for the last 18 years.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <12
  Share Topic