RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tip Vortices!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 14:14
Originally posted by John Shelton John Shelton wrote:

I think your theory is wrong. Last season, we tried a new technique, whereby after each tack, I went up on the foredeck and taped the foot of the sail to the deck with gaffer tape. The problem with this is that it forces a one-tack beat, as you have to peel it off every time.

you need to use double-side tape if you want to sail on both tacks

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 01 April 2009 at 16:48
Fast setting concrete?
Eric Marchbanks View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Marchbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 April 2009 at 11:44
Well I have got to say you are all wrong, the main problem with spped is that we didn't adopt John Waddington's theory and add hydrofoils and maybe kites instead of sails - that would get rid of all the mast top drag in one go - I beleive that John with his bum in th eair would have produced more lift from a kite above than from a sail behind and would thus have gone much faster!
Best Regards
Eric Marchbanks
Hornet 2178
John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 April 2009 at 14:13

anyone remember those mainsails made by Mushroom which were square topped? I had one once - might have a photo somewhere.

Yet another example of Hornets leading in technology

I think Clint (sp?) is suffering from false modesty - is he the only PhD on the forum?

CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 13:41

Nothing gets past you John!

Unfortunately having a PhD in the fatigue and fracture of metal matrix composites isn't all that useful in the field of fluid mechanics. Come to think of it ........

Clint

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 April 2009 at 17:21

"anyone remember those mainsails made by Mushroom which were square topped? I had one once - might have a photo somewhere."

And of course you will scan a copy for Mainsheet! Thanks John.

richard garry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 April 2009 at 20:10

Hi Clint

Just thought I`d throw my hat in on this one.

Having sailed the new boat now for just over a year, i am generally pleased with the its overall performance. Having a new design mast and little time to develope the sails to suit it, was always going to be a handicap in first few months. Our pointing ability at the champs was good, but not as i would have liked, mainly in the very light conditions encounted on the friday. This i feel was down to how mast was set up too the cut of the main, rather than a lack of any foredeck.

Having now got used to how the boat "feels" compared to my old one and a bit of tweeking she is going ok. THe main needs a bit more development, but having observed our pointing ability in the last three races at starcross in handicap races, since your 1st posting  we were the best boat on the race track, even with a non-gybing centre board,so until we sail against other hornets to check things out, I`am not going to lose to much sleep over a lack of a foredeck.

regards

Dick G. 2188.

Eric Marchbanks View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Marchbanks Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 13:19

I always felt the Goodwin hulls point higher than those off the Lovett frame which seem to work better footed off slightly.

Going back a lot of years when there was much more experimentation going on, I thought that the lack of foredeck mainly caused problem in big seas coming over the bow - hopefully we will see some bigger waves in the next two Nationals, and it will be interesting to see comments after that. As for the technical stuff, I would suggest that (particularly at Starcross) the nut on the tiller was much more important, however, I suspect if the new boats are going to sea events they might be wise to have a Mylar deck ready to fit on as a boat full of water is definitely slower!

At least we are getting debate perhaps some of the other members with new boats would like to come up with comments - are any of the new boats sailed on open water?

Best Regards
Eric Marchbanks
Hornet 2178
richard garry View Drop Down
Groupie
Groupie

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote richard garry Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 13 April 2009 at 20:46

Hi Eric

Are there any pictures around of the hornets that where built without foredecks, all those years ago. It would be interesting to see the difference between the new and old boats.

Your right, a boat full of water is slower, but its not been a problem so far with the new boat. The overhanging lip that runs around the full length, stops the water from coming up the sides and into the boat and with the angled double bottomed floor and open transom, any spray etc is gone in seconds. The boat also has a "bow up" tendancy not nose down, as i suspect the boats from yester-year had, but as you say, it needs a lumpy sea to  show the design is fine.

I`am sure that Lewis and Jono have sailed in the conditions discribed last year, but would need to check with them.

Regards

Dick G. 2188

John Shelton View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote John Shelton Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 10:00
Originally posted by Strangler Strangler wrote:

"anyone remember those mainsails made by Mushroom which were square topped? I had one once - might have a photo somewhere."

And of course you will scan a copy for Mainsheet! Thanks John.

I had a look through all my old photos yesterday, and so far, I can't find what I had in mind. There was a picture of Gordon Reeve's 'Dark Side of the Moon' which was a bit different in many ways. It had a suit of Mushroom sails, with the square top (I think this was before the roach was added to the mainsail) but its main distinguishing feature was the crew deck.

For those who think the Coombe crew deck is too high - imagine a Hornet where the foredeck continues back to the helmsman's cockpit - in other words - flush-decked! That was the one.

Now, think about the end effect on the genoa! I understand Gordon had a few crew problems......

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic