RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Technical
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Tip Vortices!

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Jono Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 19:26

Hi All,

In regard to the comments about open seas, the closest we have got to that was the TBYC regatta last year in a force 6+, i'm sure you can imagine that the seas were large enough, in fact i got bounced out of the boat by one wave! What i can say is that there is no problem with swell at all, the bow rides high over the waves anyway plus as Dick has said the lip pretty much stops the water coming up to begin with. Lewis and I have never had more than a couple of spounges full of water in the boat at any event.

On the pointing note, we've raced against Dean twice this wknd and haven't had much of a difference in pointing.

Wizard 2186
Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 14 April 2009 at 23:28
I'll try harder next time!
CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 15 April 2009 at 14:11

Hi Dick and Jono,

good to hear things are going well with the new boats. My post only really came out of a couple of conversations and a comment I heard at the Naionals. Just thought it might be something interesting to chat about on the technical bit of the forum (wasn't trying to do the new boats down).

As for boats without foredecks the only one I can remember was Keith Underdown's boat from Herne Bay ("Windward?"). I think the sail number was in the 900's. I can't remember what it looked like as I was a bit young but I do know he was competitive.

Cheers

Clint

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 22 April 2009 at 18:22

This guy 'wrote the book' on how sails work.

http://www.arvelgentry.com/magaz.htm

Lots of articles for you. Just scanned a couple. Look at 'Why the safe leeward works'. At the end he mentions tip vorticies. Probably more elsewhere.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123
  Share Topic