RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Open Meetings
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Open Meetings - the future

Post Reply Post Reply
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tobes Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Topic: Open Meetings - the future
    Posted: 25 May 2016 at 11:44
I think two points need to be flagged up for discussion following the cancellation of the Carsington Open

Firstly communication.

It would greatly help the organisers of these events if we can give them some advance warning of the numbers (or lack there of) some time in advance of the event. Therefore if you are planning on going please do let organisers within the class know. However equally important is letting people know you cannot travel. There are some of us that try and do a few events each year and this forms a core of attendees. However it does not take many of us to drop out from an open to reach critical mass quite quickly. If you occasionally travel to events, please let the organiser know either way of your plans as this will greatly help planning.

Secondly Opens in general.

Given there are so few of us travelling now, do we need to rethink the format of the open calendar? Reduce the number of opens? Maybe just a couple a year? Or do we just give up entirely and have a couple of champs?

These are just starters for 10 and a couple of ideas to throw out there. Hopefully, this is an isolated case and Stone will be a success. But we need to be sure of numbers for Stone as there are no true home boats there any more to bolster the fleet.
CLINT View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote CLINT Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 May 2016 at 15:33
It was not ideal to have 3 opens in quick succession. The problem is, as a small class we do not get offered that many opens (we are joining an open event on Oct) and if they are offered especially at places like Stone and Carsington that support us each year I try and grab them. I also work on a first come first served basis as I have lost venues before through dallying. If we were Meatballs or Merlins bringing 20-30-40 you can probably negotiate over dates. When I talk to them dates are usually set from the clubs sailing calendar and conversations with larger fleets.  

The question is what to do? I agree with Toby that perhaps less events that we make an effort to get people to might be the way forward. One a month sounds fine but it never works that way as you are fitting in around the clubs. Carsignton do offer 3 days at the May BH. Should we make that an Inland Champs if we get offered to go back and make sure nothing close in the calendar. I have not sailed there but have heard it is good. Keep Plymouth as the Final Fling as an open event? PD and Stone have been great supporters so try and talk to them early?

Please put your thoughts as getting a calendar together is a yearly sh*t sandwich!
alan williams View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote alan williams Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 September 2016 at 10:00

Roadford S.C.and Roadford O&A will be holding a CVRDA, Lowrider Moth and Classic Finn Meeting on the 15th -16th July 2017, all boats designed before 1965 plus those classes listed on the trial list and built before 1985 would be very welcome. Further details will follow near the date.

Post Reply Post Reply
  Share Topic