RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > Events - Championships
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Torbay 2014

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floozie 2115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2014 at 22:41
Barney who sailed last year (he helmed for Alex) is looking for a crew with a boat :-), His mum pulled rank this year and she is helming for Alex, but Barney had so much fun last year he would like to come again.
Anyone one have any ideas?
Jo x
floozie 2115 View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floozie 2115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 10 June 2014 at 22:43
Barney who sailed last year (he helmed for Alex) is looking for a crew with a boat :-), His mum pulled rank this year and she is helming for Alex, but Barney had so much fun last year he would like to come again.
Anyone have any ideas?
Jo x
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floozie 2115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 12 June 2014 at 23:14
Barney has convinced his crew Jen to come too they sail a fireball, so now they just need a boat?
Jo
Eric View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 19 June 2014 at 17:19
FYI
Boats will be weighed at Torbay and sails will be measured.
Negotiating with Torbay as follows:-

·     Sue Penfold of Royal Torbay Y.C.  checking with council  (but thinks will be possible) to get a section of car park cordoned off opposite the clubhouse...she is also going to try to arrange for small camper vans or vans to be able to stop over night there will have to pay car park fee for each space occupied....that may help attract the Polish and I know at least on Uk entrant wants to park his van there (Hi SamLOL that's just in case someone wants to bang on the side at 2am if he's sailing too well). Any big campers can park adjacent to the Grand hotel the other side of harbour .

·      parking is about £8 per day.

·      Still understand there are vacancies in Torwood Gardens Road as B & B.

·      RTBYC will provide protest committee 

·     We will have the Corinthian room early Sat to measure sails.

·     We will be weighing....Harry A can you bring scales....RTBYC to provide gantry. 

·     Results will be on-line the same day as well as on the RTBYC board in the entrance foyer

·     IMPORTANT - Any one arriving on Friday needs to give me an ETA so I can let Sue know who and when so they can be put along breakwater arm - barriers will need to be opened for you. My number 07766702996

·     Trailers will be left either in a group adjacent to pier or we may be allowed to leave boats on combi-bases. This beats trailing up the road as have done previously.

·     Friday evening the restaurant will be open for those that need food.

·     Sat evening...AGM in Corinthian room; Commodores Welcome..... if enough people let me know they want to eat, the club restaurant will be open otherwise it will be closed arrange our own music if required for evening...maybe Will and Sam otherwise we can have background music?

·      Sunday evening, Sue Penforld will get a selection of foods from the Polish shop as snacks 

·      Monday night....dinner....agreed 2 course - entrants to pay for this on entry, price TBA. Note, there will be a choice of two meals and possibly vegetarian if required – will need to make clear on entry what choice you want to make.

·     Tuesday, have arranged the club restaurant to open, they will supply their normal menu if required and also sandwiches for journey home for those that wish it.

·     Royal Torbay have installed a lovely terrace which we have use of....looks good for a cold beer in the evening sun. 

·     Sue Penfold is posting a notice in their newsletter finding out who may be available as crews for the event in case anyone isn't coming for lack of crew.

·     WARNING from when I went there last Sunday:-

i.            The road works are pretty horrendous down that way as largest road work project in the country is being undertaken around Newton Abbott make sure you leave in plenty of time (took me over an hour once off the A38 to get in).

ii.            That includes in the town at the moment, but looking at that it should be finished before we get there 

iii.            Parking is expensive adds circa £32 per vehicle in public car parks for the 4 days (i.e. £8 per day. (Even in the area we may get cordoned off.)  In general they seem to be going that extra mile to make sure we are happy and of course our race officer David Rayment is a former National Champion in our class. If anyone has any queries or thoughts either reply on the forum or ring me on 07766702996 or email me on [email protected]@vodafone.net Thanks Eric

InIn general

Eric
Harry Ashworth View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 June 2014 at 08:22
Eric, are you serious about weighing and measuring? Are we not due to be racing on Sat? If so, when will this scrutineering take place?
Does the class have a current sail measurer?
kevin View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote kevin Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 30 June 2014 at 20:30
Reduced entry fee for the 2014 champs ends on July 13th, so there is still time to get your entries in and join the 19 boats already going.
Kevin
Eric View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 09:54
Harr, Several people have been asking for measuring facilities....sail measuring probably will only be for those that have unmeasured sails, Sam is an RYA measurer, however cannot measure Exe sails.
It has been suggested that some boats are near the minimum or under, which is where the request came from. It may be we only measure some boats after racing, there is a committee meeting this Tuesday and I guess the decision will be taken then. I understand that boats haven't been weighed at a Championship for some long time and some have been substantially altered in the mean time, whether they are entered or not I'm not sure. I know Dick would be keen to find his exact weight as he has had copious layers of paint and varnish added since the last weigh.

Has anyone been able to offer Barney a boat to use?

If anyone needs a crew and maybe is holding back entry, can you let me know asap so that I can organise with RTBYC 

Eric
Eric View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Eric Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 09:55
Harry, Several people have been asking for measuring facilities....sail measuring probably will only be for those that have unmeasured sails, Sam is an RYA measurer, however cannot measure Exe sails.
It has been suggested that some boats are near the minimum or under, which is where the request came from. It may be we only measure some boats after racing, there is a committee meeting this Tuesday and I guess the decision will be taken then. I understand that boats haven't been weighed at a Championship for some long time and some have been substantially altered in the mean time, whether they are entered or not I'm not sure. I know Dick would be keen to find his exact weight as he has had copious layers of paint and varnish added since the last weigh.

Has anyone been able to offer Barney a boat to use?

If anyone needs a crew and maybe is holding back entry, can you let me know asap so that I can organise with RTBYC 

Eric
Harry Ashworth View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Harry Ashworth Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 July 2014 at 10:01
ok, please keep us posted so we can make our travel / timing arrangements
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote floozie 2115 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 08 July 2014 at 20:15
If we weigh boats after racing has started what is going to happen if someone comes up light?
 Post Reply Post Reply Page  <1 23456 9>
  Share Topic