RYA National Hornet Association Homepage
Forum Home Forum Home > Public > General
  FAQ FAQ  Forum Search   Events   Register Register  Login Login

Welcome

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
Author
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Duncan West Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2005 at 13:28

i also have some photos of my boat, 2155, Baker hull, like many hornets much moderfied. if you are in North Wales come to Port Dinorwic sailing club where there are 8 in the Dinghy Park.

my email address is

[email protected]

cheers Duncan

Tom Guy View Drop Down
Admin Group
Admin Group

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Tom Guy Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 24 April 2005 at 23:28

Andy,

I'm not sure if you realise after I posted my response, you didn't let anyone know what your plans were with the boat were, except by e-mail to myself alone. Unfortunately I have had e-mail issues so have only just been able to receive your response.

Anyway so now we know that you intend to modernise K1628 to current spec as opposed to with sliding seat and old rig. You have to work with us a bit here as generally everybody modernises Goodwin, Baker or Coombe hulls which we know a lot about. I suggest that you send a photo or two as well.

There are 3 basic layouts, each with their own variants (the rules are very open for deck layout): full length sidetanks, crewdeck or cut-out crew deck. I have attached photos of 2161 (sidetanks) and 2156 (cutout crewdeck). Most of the crewdeck boats have been cutout so that the crew has more room for their feet. The crewdeck is something that the class inherited from the sliding seat days.

Other points to bear in mind:

The sail plan changed in 1980, bigger main and spinnaker

all up weight reduced to 126kg in 1980 from 136kg

spinnaker pole length increased to 2.5m in 1995

post-1978 boats were built with wider centreboard cases which meant gybing boards could be used (still in common use)

I'm not sure when the Trapeze came in to use on the Hornet, but it is possible that your boat was designed for slidiung seat usage. If not modified for trapeze, you'll need to consider it. I have seen old boats where the mast has gone through the crewdeck!

As both Duncan and Jeremey have pointed out a visit to a club with Hornets of different designs would be the best option. Let me know if we could arrange this.

Sorry I have just got to the stage of adding the pictures and realised that this option has disppeared. I will e-mail them

Best regards

Tom 

From Andy MacLennan

Hi there!

You recently replied to my (ahemm!) 'rant' on your forum - thnks very much! Was trying to place this reply on the Forum - but access was denied because I'm not a member..so perhaps I did have a point!

Anyway - you asked for a condition report on the old girl. She's all there but the grp hull is totally stripped out. All the fiitings, foils, mast ( looks like a much newer Proctor D) boom, sails (tired but usable) are present also.

Originally my m8 was getting her - but he bowed out at the last minute - so I've landed my next project! Luckily the hull hasn't seen water in at laest 15 yrs and is in superb nick - so a good starting point. You also asked to waht extent I wanted to restore her.....I'm a fan of doing a job right..so really need all your guys to get out there digicams and take pics of the cockpit layouts for me so that I can choose which one to go for. Ideally I'd like her to race again so will be looking to keep her down to weight as much as possible!

I'd really appreciate all the help I can get. yes - I appreciate your point that she's an old boat...but my equally old Solo still wins races all down to 8 months of hard graft rebuilding her...was kinda hoping to do the same for the Hornet!

Cheers

Andy

roger View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote roger Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 14:23

Andy,

I have to disagree with you. Tom in particular has been very helpful. I recently put back together H 140 (1953). He and Richard Barnes helped me source the original sliding seat and although I couldnt find any pics of her in original condition or any original sails to go with her she is now back out on the race track. At the Exmoor Beastie this year she kept pace with a Winder fireball 40 years her junior until we retired. I think many Horneteers thought I am a bit strange wanting to sail a knackered old boat but the crowd at Netley last year were very helpful allowing me to take measurements etc as they were preparing to race(not the best time to choose).

Strangler and several others have been very welcoming at the fastsail stand at the Dinghy show this year.

When you have finished upgrading your boat you will be welcome at any of the classic and vintage events as well.

Good luck with the rebuild.

Roger

Mud of Maldon View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Mud of Maldon Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 19:44
John Waddington restored and modernised "Skylark" 643. Maybe you could contact him for some tips.
Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 25 April 2005 at 20:16

.....his email address is-

[email protected]

westie4566 View Drop Down

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote westie4566 Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 26 April 2005 at 10:27

Thanks guys for all your help so far - all offers of pics much appreciated and I look forward to recieving them! I'll keep you all posted as to my progress (always much slower at this time of year as sailing tends to get in the way) If anyone is near their boat (and have such a thing!!) could the give me the fore and aft length of their back tank?

Cheers

Andy

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 05 November 2006 at 21:49

Hi all

Just a plea for contributions to the newsletter, coming out next month. Club reports, Gossip - surely there is plenty out there, any questions you may have about the Hornet, tips etc etc.

Get those keyboards tapping. Thanks Strangler

[email protected]

whity View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote whity Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2006 at 19:28

hi strang i have a good pic of lewi doing a yard of ale if i can work out how to scan it in the computer i will email it and a briff rundown on the nights soc

simon

Strangler View Drop Down
Committee
Committee

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote Strangler Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 06 November 2006 at 20:40
Cheers mate. Wot about the racing?!
jonsilk View Drop Down
Members
Members

Post Options Post Options   Thanks (0) Thanks(0)   Quote jonsilk Quote  Post ReplyReply Direct Link To This Post Posted: 07 November 2006 at 11:17

In regard to older boats, the Merlin Rocket class association has managed to get the RYA to adopted an age related PY adjustment system for older boats. This is obviously not perfect as people can modernise older boats with modern rigs, but it does encourage a 'Vintage' wing of the class and dedicated DIY enthusiasts to spend their winters in the garage!

Maybe this is something the Hornet Class could convince the RYA to adopt for pre 1980 boats as post 1980 boats can still be very competitive with the brand new GRP hornets.

Post Reply Post Reply Page  <123>
  Share Topic